Friday Favorites: And Then There Were None

Friday, July 30, 2010


Ten strangers stranded on a deserted island, each one hiding a dark secret. Could you possibly have a better set up for a mystery? I think not. And Then There Were None was my very first Agatha Christie novel. I was only 11 or so when I read it for the first time, which made the murder and mayhem all the more exciting. The set up is similar to CLUE (the movie), but so much better. It's impossible to put down and at only 200 pages it's easy to read in one sitting.

This excellent mystery has remained one of my all time favorites because it has it all. There is a devious mastermind who remains unknown until the end. There are uncovered dark pasts and delicious suspicions. Christie deftly weaves the back stories together and sucks you in so completely that you can't help wonder if you're next.

Sidenote: When I was in London I saw the stage version and though the show was fantastic, I was so disappointed that they changed the ending. Apparently (I found out later) Christie herself changed it for the play, but I still thought the book's finale was much better.

8 comments:

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

You know, I haven't read Agatha Christie since I was a kid! I have this book on my shelf, so now I'll put it into the To Be Read pile! :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

It's definitely worth bumping up the TBR. I may have to reread it soon.

Kathy said...

This is my favorite Agatha Christie book!! Which is really saying a lot, because she has so many that I have enjoyed.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Mine too, and she has some fantastic ones.

She said...

Ah! I love Agatha Christie! I remember seeing her ABC Murders on stage in London and it was fabulous. I have to say though, my favorite Christie has got to be The Man in the Brown Suit.

Good Choice!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

She - I'm adding that to my TBR. I don't know how I've missed it.

Jenners said...

I read this when I was a tween and just loved it.

Rebecca Chapman said...

Great review - this book sounds like it will be fascinating