Book Reviews: Reel Culture

Tuesday, July 20, 2010


Reel Culture: 50 Classic Movies You Should Know About
by Mimi O'Connor
★★★★☆

This book was so much fun to read. In addition to being an avid reader, I'm a total movie addict. I've seen all but 6 of the 50 movies discussed in the book. Each movie has a short chapter which gives a summary of the plot, memorable quotes and then explains what the "fuss" is about with that particular film. It also includes a list of the lead actors, directors and a few other movies they've done.

The final bit in each chapter is a page covering what people still talk about in regards to that movie. For example, Rebel Without a Cause is still famous for James Dean's red leather jacket and people will always remember the shower scene in Psycho. There are also a few additional sections with fun trivia bits, like "Legendary Oscar Moments" and "Top Movie Couples."

The book is a great way to learn a bit more about the movie industry in a fun way. If you're already a movie buff or you're just wishing you could pick up on a few more references your friends make, this is a good place to start. And after you've read it you'll definitely want to update your Netflix queue.

This book was an Advanced Reader Copy courtesy of Zest Books.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Oooh! I think I would love this book!!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

It's perfect for those of us who can't get enough tidbits about great movies. I loved the behind the scenes stuff, like Bogart was short and Bergman was tall, so he had to wear platforms during the filming of Casablanca.

Jenners said...

Wow ... I'm impressed you saw so many on the list. And I, for one, need to know what the fuss is about. I never really know.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jenners - This books is perfect for that. It explains why people make such a big deal about some of the movies.

Kathy said...

Now I am really curious as to which 6 you hadn't seen. And, do you plan to see those 6 now?

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

The book introduced me to a few new ones and reminded me to bump a few others up my netflix queue. The 6 I haven't seen are...

1) Easy Rider - already in queue

2) The Exorcist - I don't want to watch this one. I'm sure it's much less scary than I think it is, but I still have no desire to see it.

3) Night of the Living Dead - added to queue (though I may have to hide my eyes for 90% of the movie)

4) Gimme Shelter - added to queue

5) Taxi Driver - already in queue

6) Do the Right Thing - added to queue