2010 100 Book Challenge Completed

Monday, July 12, 2010


June was a good month. I read 20 books and I've officially completed the 100 + Reading Challenge hosted here. I upped this challenge by turning it into a 101010 book challenge (10 books from 10 categories in 2010), so I finished the 100 books, but also completed all 10 categories.

Favorite authors (10/10)

FEB
-"The Angel's Game" by: Carlos Ruiz Zafon - ★★★★☆

-"Paper Towns" by: John Green - ★★★★

-"The Sandman Vol 1: Preludes and Nocturnes" by: Neil Gaiman - ★★★☆

-"Juliet, Naked" by: Nick Hornby - ★★★★
-"Fantastic Mr. Fox" by: Roald Dahl - ★★★★
-"The Murders in the Rue Morgue" by: Edgar Allan Poe - ★★★☆

MARCH

-"Cannery Row" by John Steinbeck - ★★★★
APRIL
-"Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" by: Rudyard Kipling - ★★★
MAY
"Silver Wedding" by: Maeve Binchy - ★★★
-"The Watsons" by: Jane Austen - ★★★★

Nonfiction / Travel Related (10/10)
JAN

-"The Wordy Shipmates" by: Sarah Vowell - ★★☆
FEB
-"Zeitoun" by: Dave Eggers -★★★★☆
MARCH
-"Bright-sided" by: Barbara Ehrenreich - ★★★☆

APRIL

-"A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906" by: Simon Winchester - ★★☆

-"The Happiness Project" by: Gretchen Rubin - ★★★★

-"Literary England" by: Richard Wilcox - ★★★
-"The Kitchen Confidential" by: Anthony Bourdain - ★★★★

-"The Poe Shadow" by: Matthew Pearl - ★★☆
MAY

-"Autobiography of a Face" by Lucy Grealy - ★★★★

JUNE
-"Tales of the City" by Armistead Maupin - ★★☆

Recommended (10/10)
JAN

-"For One More Day" by: Mitch Albom - ★☆
FEB

-"The Bean Trees" by: Barbara Kingsolver- ★★★

-"The Mezzanine" by: Nicholson Baker - ★★★★

-"Holly's Inbox" by: Holly Denham - ★★★

MARCH

-"The Jungle Book" by: Rudyard Kipling - ★★★★
-"Over Sea, Under Stone" by: Susan Cooper - ★★★★

-"What Was Lost" by: Catherine O'Flynn - ★★★★

APRIL

-"The Little Stranger" by: Sarah Waters - ★★★★☆

-"Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History" by: Art Spiegelman - ★★★★☆

-"Beat the Reaper" by: Josh Bazell - ★★★★

Plays (esp. Pulitzer Prize Winners) (10/10)

JAN
-"Dinner with Friends" by: Donald Marguiles - ★★★
-"Glengarry Glen Ross" by: David Mamet - ★★★

-"Driving Miss Daisy" by: Alfred Uhry - ★★★★
FEB

-"August: Osage County" by: Tracy Letts - ★★★★
-"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" by: Edward Albee - ★★★
-"A Doll's House" by: Henrik Ibsen - ★★★★☆
MARCH

-"RENT" by Jonathan Larson - ★★★★★
-"Waiting for Godot" by Samuel Beckett - ★★★

APRIL

-"All's Well That Ends Well" by: William Shakespeare - ★★★☆

MAY
-"The Crucible" by Arthur Miller - ★★★★

Short Stories / Poetry Collections (10/10)
JAN
-"Carry On, Jeeves" by: P.G. Wodehouse - ★★★☆
FEB

-"Keats: Selected Poems" by: John Keats - ★★★★

-"Revolting Rhymes" by: Roald Dahl - ★★★★
APRIL

-"Heaven and Other Poems" by: Jack Kerouac - ★★★★

MAY

-"Blue Moon Over Thurman Street" by Ursula K. LeGuin - ★★☆

-"The Whore's Child and Other Stories" by Richard Russo - ★★★★★
JUNE
-"100 Poems by 100 Poets: An Anthology" by: Harold Pinter - ★★★★★

-"The Matisse Stories" by: A.S. Bryatt - ★★★☆

-"I Feel Bad About My Neck" by: Nora Ephron - ★★★☆
-"Tell Me the Truth About Love" by: W.H. Auden - ★★★★☆

1,000 Books (10/10)
JAN

-"Great Expectations" by: Charles Dickens - ★★★★★
FEB
-"Black Water" by: Joyce Carol Oates - ★★★☆
-"The Big Sleep" by: Raymond Chandler - ★★★
MARCH

-"Les Miserable" by: Victor Hugo - ★★★★☆
MAY

-"Silas Marner" by George Eliot - ★★★☆

JUNE

-"Candide" by: Voltaire - ★★★★
-"Fury" by: Salman Rushdie - ★★★
-"The Woman in White" by: Wilkie Collins - ★★★★☆
-"Cranford" by: Elizabeth Gaskell - ★★★★
-"The Nine Tailors" by: Dorothy L. Sayers - ★★★☆


Sequels (10/10)

JAN

-"G is for Gumshoe" by: Sue Grafton - ★★★

-"The Girl Who Played with Fire" by: Stieg Larsson - ★★★★☆

-"The Lost Symbol" by: Dan Brown - ★★☆
-"Unshaken" by: Francine Rivers - ★★★
MARCH

-"Anne of Ingleside" by: L.M. Montgomery - ★★★☆
-"Fourth Comings" by: Megan McCafferty - ★★★
MAY
-"The Slippery Slope" by: Lemony Snicket - ★★★
JUNE

-"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by: Stieg Larsson - ★★★★☆

-"Sacred" by: Dennis Lehane -
-"Ender in Exile" by: Orson Scott Card -
★★★★

Book Awards (Pulitzer, Booker, Orange) (10/10)

JAN
-"The Color Purple" by: Alice Walker - ★★★★
-"The White Tiger" by: Aravind Adiga - ★★★
-"The Known World" by: Edward P. Jones - ★★★☆

FEB
-"The Remains of the Day" by: Kazuo Ishiguro - ★★★★☆
APRIL
-"Olive Kitteridge" by: Elizabeth Strout - ★★★

-"Invisible Man" by: Ralph Ellison - ★★☆
-"Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began" by: Art Spiegelman - ★★★★★
MAY
-"Let the Great World Spin" by: Colum McCann - ★★★★☆
-"Blindness" by Jose Saramago - ★★★★☆
-"Holes" by Louis Sacher - ★★★★

Book Club (10/10)

MARCH

-"Blame" by: Michelle Huneven - ★★★☆

-"How Starbucks Saved My Life" by: Michael Gates Gill - ★★★☆

-"The Postmistress" by: Sarah Blake - ★★★☆

-"The Help" by: Kathryn Stockett - ★★★★☆
-"Still Alice" by: Lisa Genova - ★★★★☆

APRIL

-"In an Instant" by: Lee and Bob Woodruff - ★★★☆

-"The Heretic's Daughter" by: Kathleen Kent - ★★★★

-"The Unnamed" by: Joshua Ferris - ★★★★
MAY

-"The Lacuna" by: Barbara Kingsolver - ★★★★

-"The Little Giant of Aberdeen County" by Tiffany Baker - ★★★☆

Random Book Challenge (10/10)

JAN
-"Strait is the Gate" by: Andre Gide - ★★★
MARCH
-"Their Eyes Were Watching God" by: Zora Neale Hurston - ★★★☆

-"Blue Highways: A Journey into America" by: William Least Heat-Moon - ★★★★☆
-"Little Children" by: Tom Perrotta - ★★★★

-"Proof" by: David Auburn - ★★★★

APRIL

-"O Pioneers!" by: Willa Cather - ★★★★★

MAY

-"Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist" by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan - ★★★★☆

JUNE

-"Fool" by: Christopher Moore - ★★★★☆
-"The Lightning Thief" by: Rick Riordan - ★★★★

-"The House on Mango Street" by: Sandra Cisneros - ★★★★


7 comments:

Jessica said...

You've done really well there. I just over 50 I think which isn't too bad.

I notice most of the books hae been given high scores as well which is always a bonus.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jessica - Over the years I've gotten to know my tastes better and I'm a little more picky about what I read. So more of the books I read are things I think I'll like to begin with, which is wonderful. I spend a lot less time reading books that aren't for me.

LindyLouMac said...

I will never understand how you find the time to read so much. My reading levels have dropped off since I have started spending more time blogging :(

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Wow!! This is an incredible list, well done!!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Thanks guys!

LindyLouMac - I have no idea. I promise I do leave the house. I have a full-time job and a husband, but he's pretty used to seeing me with my nose in a book. I've heard it gets much harder to find time when you have kids.

Yvonne said...

You are the Reading Diva and I bow down to you. What a great list. Thanks for posting it. I will definately have to try some of the titles from it.

Jenners said...

Color me impressed!!!!