Everything Austen II - Complete!

Saturday, July 31, 2010


I've just completed Stephanie's Everything Austen II challenge. I don't think I could ever burn out on Austen and so this was fun. Here's what I completed for the challenge...

1) The Watsons
by Jane Austen


I wish this one was a complete novel, but I'll take what I can get.

2) The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen
by Syrie James


Loved it! It's a treat for any Austen lover.

(Lost in Austen)

3) Lost in Austen
(2008 Mini series starring Jemima Rooper)


This one was delightful. It's a bit cheesy but so fun. Amanda Price lives in modern day England and is obsessed with Jane Austen. She ends up magically switching places with Elizabeth Bennet. Chaos ensues as she tries to fit into the Bennet family and their society.

4) Emma
(2009 BBC starring Romola Garai)


This is my new favorite Emma adaptation. Garai is the perfect Emma, blending selfish naivete and sincere kindness.


(Northanger Abbey)

5) Persuasion
(2007 ITV starring Sally Hawkins)


I recognized Sally Hawkins, who plays Anne Elliot, as the exuberant Poppy from the movie Happy-Go-Lucky. It was strange to see her as the quiet and caring Anne, but she was great. Though it's good, it's not my favorite. I loved the 1995 version starring Amanda Root.

6) Northanger Abbey
(2008 starring Felicity Jones)


Jones makes a great Catherine Morland. She's sweet and innocent and she let's her imagination run wild. But I think that it's JJ Feild's Tilney that makes this such a good adaptation. He's perfect!

So what have we learned from this challenge? You can never have too much Austen!

6 comments:

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

You are absolutely right -- you can't burn out on Jane Austen! Well done!!

Meredith said...

Wow! Congrats on completing the challenge! I agree about JJ Field being the perfect Henry Tilney! What was your favorite?

Whitney said...

You finished this challenge in no time at all! But that's the power of Austen :)

I just watched BBC's Emma, Romola Garai is the perfect Emma.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Meredith - I think the Emma adaptation was my favorite overall. It was extremely well cast and just delightful. But I also really enjoyed Lost in Austen. I think that one was the most fun.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Lost in Austen is definitely fun, but I'm one of those who was more than a little disappointed by the ending. =P So I ended up liking Jane and Bingley's story much better.

Congratulations on completing this challenge! =)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Enbrethiliel - I know, for any of us Austen purists that ending was sacrilegious, but the rest was fun.