Reading the States: Maryland

Friday, May 25, 2012


State: MARYLAND
Fiction:
- The Accidental Tourist* by Anne Tyler
- The Poe Shadow* by Matthew Pearl
- Chesapeake by James Michener
- Two Brothers 
- One North, One South by David H. Jones
- Kindred* by Octavia E. Butler
- Song Yet Sung by James McBride
- Timbuktu by Paul Auster
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants* by Ann Brashares
- Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson
- Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant* by Anne Tyler

Nonfiction:
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks* by Rebecca Skloot
- The Other Wes Moore* by Wes Moore
- Defending Baltimore Against Enemy Attack by Charles Osgood 
- The Beautiful Struggle by Ta-Nehisi Coates 

Authors Known for Writing in or about the State:
- Anne Tyler
- Laura Lippman
- James Patterson

Authors Who Lived Here:
- Edgar Allan Poe
- James M. Cain
- Ann Brashares
- Nora Roberts
- H. L. Mencken
- Tom Clancy
- Frank Miller
- Emily Giffin
- Dashiell Hammett

Great Bookstores:
Second Story Books 

*Books I've Read

Photo by moi.
 

7 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

Now that is a loaded state, full of good booky things!

Jeanne said...

I lived in Laurel, Maryland for eight years and loved it. My favorite Anne Tyler novel is Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant. And I still read Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan mysteries when I get a little homesick for Baltimore. The first baseball game I ever saw in person was the Orioles.

Kristi said...

I know I read the Accidental Tourist in high school, but I don't remember a single thing about it. I think I liked it. I really enjoyed The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks. The science was pretty interesting, but the human element was what made it great.

Quite a few popular authors from Maryland.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jeanne - I've been meaning to read that one for a long time. I visited Baltimore in 2010 and was surprised by how much there was to do. It was such a cool city!

Kristi - It wasn't my favorite, but I want to read something else by Tyler and see what I think. I agree about Henrietta. The personal story was so good.

JReiss said...

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is also set in Bethesda, MD.

annieb said...

My favorite Anne Tyler book is Saint Maybe, but perhaps that is because I just read it this year. I've read several others in the past and wasn't that impressed. I really liked Saint Maybe because while the characters were her usual quirky--they weren't off the chart.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

JReiss - Yes, I forgot about that one. I'll add it in!

annieb - I think that was my issue with Accidental Tourist. The characters were so quirky that I couldn't relate. Maybe I'll try Saint Maybe next.