Readers are the best!

Thursday, May 10, 2012



Readers are the absolute best people! Through this blog I met Anne, a wonderfully sweet woman whose comments pop up here and there. She emailed asking if I had a specific book, offering to mail me a copy if I didn’t. Instead of a single book I received a big box of books from her!

I can’t explain how much it meant to me. It’s not the books themselves or even the card that came with them. It’s what they mean in the big scheme of things. That package reminded me of why I blog. I do it not because I have to write down my thoughts for every book or something. I blog because of the incredible people that it connects me to.

Through blogging I’ve been introduced to readers in countries around the world. I’ve had books recommended to me that have become new favorites. I’ve been challenged to read things I never would have picked up in the past and I’ve had a blast doing it.

So here’s my small thank you; to Anne for the amazing package! And to all of you, for reading this blog, for your comments which always make me smile and for being the fantastic readers that you all are!

*Photo by moi.

11 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

You've said it all. Three are so many wonderful bloggers out there and sometimes just getting a comment or two helps to brighten an otherwise tough day.

Amanda said...

I think this is why I stay, even if I have scaled back. The friendships I've made here are priceless.

Care said...

Cool! Yes, book bloggers are special.

Jeanne said...

Wow! A whole box! One thing I love about book bloggers is that so many of them recognize that sending a book is not always entirely altruistic.

Sandy Nawrot said...

That is so incredibly awesome of her to do such a thing! Totally unexpected and from the heart.

annieb said...

Although I am not a blogger and probably never will be (not enough discipline or interest) I love having found the book blogging community. I found this blog through Library Thing and through this blog so many more that are on my favorites list. I don't live in a town with a big reading community, or at least not a vocal reading community. We have a library, yes, but it is always in need of money which is never available and no real bookstores, even used ones. I have never found a book club or even many kindred souls who read like I do, which is pretty much everything. Although I have to admit bestsellers are usually not my thing. With bloggers I can read about everything, get recommendations, find new interests, and might I say new friends. Sharing books is almost better than reading them yourself. So I pass back the thank you to Melissa and to all of you who frequent this blog and write your own. Please don't ever stop.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Diane - They really do. You're amazing at commenting and it always means so much to me.

Amanda - I know you've struggled with whether or not to keep up your book blog. I agree, the friendships absolutely make it all worth while.

Care - Including you!

Jeanne - Ha, true, but I was excited about this.

Sandy - I know! People can be so kind.

annieb - I'm so glad you've finally found a little bookish corner where you can discuss what you're reading. It's been amazing to me that there are so many other people in the world with a similar taste and passion for books. I never would have found them without this blog. I hope you keep stopping by too!

Jenners said...

I'm always amazed and blessed by the kindness and genrosity of my fellow bloggers (including you) and Anne sounds like a shining example of all the good that blogging can bring to our lives. Enjoy!

Ana S. said...

What a lovely gift! Readers really are the best.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jenners - It always surprises me too! The kindness and generosity of fellow readers is incredible.

Nymeth - They are the best and I'm so grateful to be part of this community.

Kailana said...

How wonderful! Enjoy your loot!