Reading the States: Louisiana

Friday, May 11, 2012


State: LOUISIANA

Fiction:
- A Confederacy of Dunces* by John Kennedy Toole
- The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood* by Rebecca Wells
- A Streetcar Named Desire* by Tennesee Williams
- A Lesson Before Dying* by Ernest J. Gaines
- The Awakening* by Kate Chopin
- Interview with the Vampire* by Anne Rice
- All the King's Men* by Robert Penn Warren
- Property by Valerie Martin
- No Place, Louisiana by Martin Pousson
- Cane River by Lalita Tademy
- Bad Moon Rising by Katherine Sutcliffe
- The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
- Love in the Ruins by Walker Percy
- Out of the Easy* by Ruta Sepetys 
- The Vanishing Half* by Brit Bennett

Nonfiction:
- Zeitoun* by Dave Eggers
- The Earl of Louisiana by A. J. Liebling
- Mardi-Gras... As It Was by Robert Tallant
- Lords of Misrule: Mardi Gras and the Politics of Race in New Orleans
by James Gill
- Bayou Farewell by Mike Tidwell
- 1 Dead in Attic: After Katrina by Chris Rose
- Managing Ignatius by Jerry Strahan
- Dead Man Walking by Helen Prejean
- Mardi Gras ...As It Was by Robert Tallant
- Nine Lives: Death and Life in New Orleans* by Dan Baum
- Five Days at Memorial* by Sheri Fink
 

Authors Known for Writing in or about the State:
- Anne Rice
- James Lee Burke
- Ernest J. Gaines
- Truman Capote
- Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse series)

Authors Who Lived Here:
- Rebecca Wells
- Tim Gautreaux
- Yusef Komunyakaa
- Elmore Leonard
- Bret Lott

Great Bookstores:
Octavia Books
Garden District Book Shop
Faulkner House Books*

Literary Places to Visit: 
Carousel Bar 

*Books I've Read

Photo by moi.

9 comments:

Roof Beam Reader said...

Ah... this is neat. What a fun way to learn a little bit about each of the 50 states! I might have to do a similar project (some day... in the distant future.. possibly retirement?).

annieb said...

Louisiana is a pretty busy state, literature wise. I was surprised at how many books that are listed that I have read.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Adam - This project was on my blog to do list for a long time. It has been fun to learn more about so many states and authors.

annieb - I was too. I figured New Orleans would be a literary hot spot, but there were still a ton of other books.

Jeanne said...

The Moviegoer is my least favorite novel by Walker Percy. Recently I reviewed The Last Gentleman, which is among my top favorites, and my most favorite is Love in the Ruins. He has other novels and several non-fiction books, too.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jeanne - I'm adding Love in the Ruins to my TBR list. I've never read anything by Percy.

Arti said...

Louisiana is a state that I know very little about, considering it's great distance from me (above the 49th parallel). So it's so interesting to see your lists and find out some of the titles I know belong there. I look forward to seeing your selections from other States.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Arti - Thanks. It's fun to see all the unique books from each state.

Anonymous said...

I loved "Mardi Gras...As It Was" by Robert Tallant. As someone now living in New Orleans, I think it's the perfect book to read for anyone wanting the inside scoop (and who doesn't want to read a travel guide). I got my copy here: http://www.pelicanpub.com/proddetail.php?prod=0882897225 but you can get it pretty much everywhere

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sam - Thanks, I'll add it in.