Pinterest

Saturday, May 5, 2012


Oh Pinterest, how I love thee. Trish at Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity had the great idea to host a challenge to encourage everyone to start doing some of the things they are pinning. The month of May is a bit nutty for me, so I’m not joining in the fun, but I thought I would share a couple things I’ve already completed that I’ve pinned.

Here’s a few things I’ve used and loved via Pinterest:

1) I made an awesome wreath for my library from dictionary pages (see above)
2) I made a Christmas ornament with salt dough of our puppy’s paw.
3) I put a lazy susan under my kitchen sink to help organize my cleaning bottle.
4) I used lemon, white vinegar and baking soda cleaning tips I found on Pinterest
5) I started using bread clips to label my electric cords.

I know there are a few others, but that's what came to mind. Pinterest is such a wonderful resource for planning parties and finding recipes, but I tend to spend most of my time admiring bookish photos. 

So come find me here on Pinterest.

And then go join Trish's challenge if you feel up to it!

*Photos by moi




12 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Very cool wreath. I still haven't joined this site, but have checked it out many time. I'm afraid it will be another way to suck up too little free time as it is:)

annieb said...

Well honestly Melissa, is there no end to the things you get me into? On a Saturday even. I didn't expect to find a post and there you are. I have heard of Pinterest of course, the evening news even did a segment about it, but had never looked at it. Now, I have and I suppose I am hooked a little as well. Pretty interesting. Love the wreath!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Diane - It really can be a time suck, but it's helpful if you create boards for specific things. Instead of having to search the web for one thing you saw two months ago, you can go straight to the place where you pinned it.

annieb - Ha, sorry! I never post on Saturdays, but I was bummed I wouldn't have time to join Trish's fun challenge.

Kristi said...

I'll have to click on the link so I can find you on Pinterest. I don't spend much time on there repinning, but I love to have the option of pinning things that I come across on blogs that I read. I've mostly pinned recipes, but I'm hoping to expand a bit.

I saw your comment on Allie's blog (I think) about all you have going on in May. Craziness! Hope it all goes well and that you find a little down time to read!

Bybee said...

I'm trying to resist Pinterest, but it's getting more difficult.

Chrisbookarama said...

Oh, I love your wreath!

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

You've gotten so much done! I love your wreath as well. Isn't this challenge amazing? I've tried so many things I've been meaning to do since I started it.

Jenners said...

Wow … look at you. Everyone says that Pinterst is such a time suck but it looks like it ended up giving you lots of wonderful improvements in life. The lazy susan for cleaning bottles is so simple but such a great idea.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Kristi - Thanks! It is a seriously crazy month, but a fun one. I know I won't get nearly as much reading done as I'd like, but hopefully June will be slower.

Bybee - I felt that way about twitter. I resisted forever but I finally caved.

Chrisbookarama - Thanks! I did that project with a friend and they both turned out great.

Lu - It's such a great challenge. I have a bad habit of pinning things and then forgetting about them. I love going back and looking up projects to work on.

Jenners - I think it's all about how you use it. I can waste hours on Pinterest, but if I'm searching for something specific it can be incredibly helpful.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Melissa--I've been meaning to email you back but time just keeps slipping away from me. I wanted to thank you for the shout out!

And I love that you're using the bread clip pin--that's one of the very first ones I remember seeing and have been saving my bread pins just for that reason (though haven't gotten there yet).

And...if you happen to use any Pinterest ideas for the upcoming showers/parties, feel free to link em. ;)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Trish - I'll definitely link up anything I do. There are so many great ideas!

Kailana said...

I love that wreath!!