Reading the States: Maine

Friday, May 18, 2012


State: MAINE

Fiction:
- A Walk in the Woods* by Bill Bryson
- Fellowship Point* by Alice Elliott Dark
- Olive Kitteridge* by Elizabeth Strout
- The Magic Ship by Sandra Paretti 
- Lucy by the Sea* by Elizabeth Strout
- A Country of Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
- More Than You Know by Beth Gutcheon
- Empire Falls* by Richard Russo
- Salem’s Lot by Stephen King
- Stern Men* by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Red Hook Road by Ayelet Waldman
- Skylark by Patricia MacLachlan
- Evening* by Susan Minot
- Birdie's Lighthouse by Deborah Hopkinson
- The Cider House Rules by John Irving
- Red Ruby Heart in a Cold Blue Sea by Morgan Callan Rogers

Nonfiction:
- Coastal Maine: A Maritime History by Roger F. Duncan
- The Hungry Ocean by Linda Greenlaw
- One Man's Meat by E.B. White 
- Elsewhere* by Richard Russo 

Authors Known for Writing in or about the State:
- Stephen King

Authors Who Lived Here:
- Richard Russo
- Lois Lowry
- E.B. White
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Edna St. Vincent Millay

Great Bookstores:
Fine Print Booksellers
 
*Books I've Read

Photo by moi.

6 comments:

Mariul said...

Hi Melissa

You could add Red Ruby Heart in a Cold Blue Sea by Morgan Callan Rogers to your list.

Regards
Ulla

Sandy Nawrot said...

I definitely did not enjoy Olive Kitteredge, but oh, Red Hook Road took my breath away.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Ulla - Thanks! I added it in.

Sandy - Ok, that's going on the TBR list.

Jeanne said...

I loved Olive Kitteridge, and The Cider House Rules. But I never want to visit Maine in person. Too cold for me, even in summer.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jeanne - I've heard it's beautiful in the summer time, but I definitely couldn't live there.

wpofilms said...

I re-read Charlotte's Web and some of E.B. White's other books when I started writing a book myself. Its a great book for adults too!

As a friend said, if Maine had the weather of New Jersey it would have the population of New Jersey! Portland, ME is a wonderful place to live year round. A couple weeks is Puerto Rico is nice in March though...