Top Ten Books To Read During Halloween

Tuesday, October 25, 2011


This week's Top Ten from The Broke and the Bookish asks from good Halloween reads.

1) Umbrella Man - I wish more people knew how great Roald Dahl's adult short stories are. They are wonderfully creepy and perfect for Halloween.

2) The Woman in Black - My new favorite ghost story. I will absolutely be breaking this one out frequently for Halloweens in the future.

3) The Thirteenth Tale - Gothic horror story for book lovers, can't beat that.

4) The Little Stranger - A haunted house... or is it?

5) We Have Always Lived in the Castle - I just read this one and it's super creepy and captivating.

6) Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde - It's a classic and it's the ultimate good vs. evil story, because we each contain a bit of both.

7) The Bunnicula series by James Howe - I loved this series growing up and these books would be great Halloween read for kids.

8) The Graveyard Book - Imagine reading passages from this in a graveyard at night. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

9) The Yellow Wallpaper - There's seriously nothing scarier than losing your mind.

10) The Cask of Amontillado - Every Halloween list needs a bit of Poe and this is one of my favorites.

Pumpkin from here.

11 comments:

Amanda said...

Jekyll and Hyde!! :D One of my favs!

Ana S. said...

Excellent list - and ditto on Roald Dahl's adult stuff!

Kathy said...

I just finished reading Bunnicula to the kids, and we're now in the middle of Howliday Inn!

Kailana said...

This is a great list. I really need to read The Little Stranger.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Amanda - That remains my favorite of Robert Louis Steven's work so far.

Nymeth - Yay, another Dahl fan!

Kathy - Howliday Inn is my personal favorite of the series. I hope they love it!

Kailana - It was my first Waters book.

Patti Smith said...

The Cask of Amontillado may be my very favorite Poe...so sinister and evil...LOVE IT!

Jeanne said...

We also love Dahl and Bunnicula. I think the Bunnicula books were a huge factor in why we got a bunny ten years ago. He is still pretty spry and draining carrots of their color (and substance) daily.

Jeanne said...

Oh, and did I mention that we have an 11-year-old cat named Chester?

B said...

Great list! I agree with Dr. Jekyll and The Yellow Wallpaper - two of my favorites for this time of year. I really, really want to read We Have Always Lived in the Castle now.

Jenny said...

The Yellow Wallpaper! Definitely one of the most unsettling stories I've ever read.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Patti - Mine too. It's so deliciously dark.

Jeanne - You're my hero! You had a bunny and a cat named Chester. I love it.

Brenna - I'm going to try to have a review of it up on Halloween. It was a perfect read for the read-a-thon.

Jenny - Yes, I wasn't expecting it to be so creepy.