Road Trip!

Friday, October 7, 2011


This week I will be out of town on vacation…woo hoo!!! I love traveling to foreign locales, but time and money are limited this year and so instead we’re staying a bit closer to home. My husband loves road trips and camping and I love visiting new places. So we looked at the states around us and picked one that we’d never been to.

Drum roll please… we’re going to Alabama! I’m a firm believer that every single state has some interesting and unique to offer visitors. With that in mind I started researching Alabama to figure out what we could do there and there’s so much!


We’ll be camping half the time and it turns out there are lots of fun parks with hiking trails and even waterfalls. We’ll be staying one night in Monroeville, where we can see Harper Lee’s stomping grounds, including the original courthouse from To Kill a Mockingbird, which is now a museum. We’re going to visit Civil Rights Museums, the Bellingrath Gardens, and the Fitzgerald’s home and, of course, eat lots of BBQ.

So guys, I won’t have too many posts up while I’m gone because I won’t be keeping track of comments. I can’t wait to catch up when I get back!

Also, anything I should not miss in Alabama?

p.s. For the first time in my life I've bought a car I actually like! Up until now I've driven old beaters (journalist work doesn't pay much), but the above beauty is my new (used) Subaru Forester. We're taking her on out vacation and I think I'm going to name her Scout in honor of her first road trip. Blue is my favorite color in the world and so that was a huge bonus for me.

p.p.s. If any of you love To Kill a Mockingbird, you should watch the documentary “Hey, Boo.” It’s wonderful!

Photos from here, here, here, here and here.
Last photo by moi.

12 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Have a wonderful weekend. My son and his wife bought a Subaru Forester last year and just love it. Yours is a beauty too.

Sandy Nawrot said...

You are quite the traveler! I haven't seen much in Alabama, except the beaches which are beautiful. I would love to see that courthouse, and now I'm going to have to look up that documentary as well. Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Diane - I am loving the car so far. It's not too big and not too small. I feel like Goldi Locks without the stealing.

Sandy - I will! I love road trips because you can stop and see stuff whenever you feel like it. Instead of just flying into a big city and flying out, you get a much better feel for the state.

nomadreader said...

Have a wonderful trip! I love driving trips to smaller towns. Mr. Nomadreader and I are thinking of getting a Subaru Forester as our new (likely used) car too. Happy travels!

Ana S. said...

Have a wonderful time, Melissa!

Mumsy said...

I will be passing thru Mobile and Montgomery myself this week! I'm not that fascinated by Alabama (and I loathe Bama's football coach) but the roads are extremely pleasant to drive upon - low traffic and gentle hills, very peaceful.

Enjoy the BBQ, and I envy you the garden trip.

Jenners said...

Have fun in your sweet new ride! I've read great things about the Forester!

B said...

Enjoy your vacation and your new car! It's beautiful!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Have a great time! I've only driven through Alabama but it's a very pretty state. And love the new Scout car! ;) My husband wants a Subaru very badly.

BookQuoter said...

Have a good time. Be safe and take care.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

nomadreader - So far we love the Forester. We put about 2,000 miles on it with this trip and it was the perfect car for the trip.

Mumsy - I hope you enjoyed your trip through Alabama, wasn't the weather beautiful!

Thanks for all the comments guys. We had such a wonderful trip! I'll post some photos soon.

Jillian said...

Sounds like fun!! =]