More Early Horror Works: H.P. Lovecraft

Wednesday, October 26, 2011


More Early Horror Works
by H.P. Lovecraft
★★★★

How have I never read H.P. Lovecraft before? Seriously, this is just wrong. One of the first authors I ever fell in love with was Edgar Allen Poe. I remember reading The Black Cat and realizing that not all books were like the happy-go-lucky Babysitters’ Club series. It was a wonderful thing to discover. After that I read all of Poe’s work and developed a deep love for dark tales.

Yet, somehow, even though people speak of Lovecraft in the same breath as Poe, I’ve never read anything by him. Thank goodness I finally picked up this short collection. It gave me just the taste I needed to know I want to read more.

This collection includes The Alchemist, The Picture in the House and The Tomb. The Alchemist was my favorite. I have a feeling this isn’t Lovecraft’s best work. The sheer fact that it’s called “More Early Horror Works” suggests there are better selections to be hard. But after really enjoying these, I’m hopeful I’ll love his other works.

Have you guys read H.P. Lovecraft and if so, what should I read next of his works?

I read this for the R.I.P. Challenge hosted by Stainless Steel Droppings.

For more R.I.P reviews visit here.

8 comments:

Ana S. said...

The Call of Cthulhu and At The Mountains of Madness! They're his very best works, imo.

Sandy Nawrot said...

I'm chuckling because I'm reading your post and thinking "I bet Nymeth knows!". Of course she does! I've not read anything from this author OR Poe, if you can believe it. I guess I was busy reading Stephen King back when I was in that phase. I need to make that a project. (At Halloween Horror Nights, they had a haunted house completely dedicated to Poe!)

B said...

Ok I have not read anything by H.P. Lovecraft. I'm thinking once I do, I'll listen to Nymeth and start with one of those!

Don't you love finding old authors that you never knew you'd enjoy so much?

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Nymeth - I knew you'd have an amazing recommendation for me. Thank you!

Sandy - You should definitely do a Poe night. Once I went to a reading of his works done by a local theater group and it was so good. He's a great author to read aloud.

Brenna - I do love that! I feel like I've found so many in the last year because of other bloggers. I read my first Thomas Hardy and Dodie Smith after seeing so many wonderful reviews.

Rob said...

I've read a few of Lovecraft's short stories, including The Tomb (which I quite liked), but I've had a 'best of' collection sitting here unread for far too long.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Rob - The number of books on my TBR shelf (shelves actually) is embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

I have a good collection of his titled "Tales of Terror and Death" which I liked. Two of my favorite tales were "The Doom that Came to Sarnath," and "The Statement of Randolph Carter." There is indeed a great, chilling atmosphere to all his stories...

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

bibliophilica - Those sound great! Thanks for the recommendations.