Reading the States: Tennessee

Friday, October 26, 2012





State: TENNESSEE

Fiction:
- The Firm* by John Grisham
- The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks
- Summons to Memphis by Peter Taylor
- An Abundance of Katherines* by John Green
- Suttree by Cormac McCarthy
- A Death in the Family by James Agee

- Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
- Christy by Catherine Marshall
- Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee
- How to Build a House by Dana Reinhardt
- Taft by Ann Patchett
- Carved in Bone by Jefferson Bass
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker


Nonfiction:
- My Own Country by Abraham Verghese
- The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis
- The American Plague by Molly Caldwell Crosby
- Cash by Johnny Cash
- American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House* by Jon Meacham
- Truth and Beauty* by Ann Patchett
- The Fight for Chattanooga by Jerry Korn

- Good Rockin' Tonight by Colin Escott with Martin Hawkins

Authors Known for Writing in or about the State:
- Sharyn McCrumb
- Steven Womack


Authors Who Lived Here:
- Ann Patchett
- Thomas Harris
- Tim Cahill
- Louise Fitzhugh
- Cormac McCarthy
- Al Gore
 

Great Bookstores: 
Winder Binder Gallery and Bookstore  
Burke’s Book Store  
Parnassus Books

*Books I've Read 

Photo by moi. 

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

The Firm is a movie I liked better than I liked the book (which I read first) because it's set in and around Memphis, and at the time it came out, my husband and I had recently moved away and were missing the Memphis and Little Rock area. Also, the movie has a better ending than the book does.

Sandy Nawrot said...

There is a lot of action in this state! Who knew?

Nikki Steele said...

Seems like this list is bursting with books I want to read. Maybe there's something in the water in Tennessee?

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jeanne - I agree with you about the ending of The Firm. I thought the movie was better too!

Sandy - Not me, I alwyas think of it as being famous for music not writers.

Nikki - It's funny how there are a few states that just seem to breed writers!

Dale said...

I have An Abundance of Katherines on my list to read very soon. I didn't know it was set in Tennessee. I heard John Green speak about a week ago. He was very entertaining and thought provoking.

Alyce said...

I've only read a couple of those on that list. Very informative! I didn't realize those authors lived there.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Dale - Isn't he great! I've had the chance to hear him speak a couple times and he's always wonderful.

Alyce - Parnassus Books is actually owned by Ann Patchett. I love when authors become invested in the community they live in.