Reading the States: South Carolina

Friday, October 12, 2012


State: SOUTH CAROLINA

Fiction:

- The Secret Life of Bees* by Sue Monk Kidd
- The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
- Perdition House by Kathryn R. Wall
- Low Country by Anne Rivers Siddons
- The Spirit of Sweetgrass by Nicole Seitz
- Sullivan's Island by Dorothea Benton Frank
- Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison
- Cast Two Shadows by Ann Rinaldi
- Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig
- The Invention of Wings* by Sue Monk Kidd
- Beach Music* by Pat Conroy

Nonfiction:
- Before Freedom by Belinda Hurmence
- Slaves in the Family by Edward Ball
- Brown Girl Dreaming* by Jacqueline Woodson
- Hidden in Plain View by Jacqueline L. Tobin and Raymond G. Dobard 

Authors Known for Writing in or about the State:
- Walter Edgar
- Sheri Reynolds
- Dorothea Benton Frank

Authors Who Lived Here:

- Stephen Colbert
- Bret Lott
- John Jakes
- Frank Bunker Gilbreth, Jr.
- Mary Alice Monroe

Great Bookstores:
Hub City Bookshop
Blue Bicycle Books
Fiction Addiction
Litchfield Books

*Books I've Read

Photo by moi. 

7 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

South Carolina is one of those states where my heart beat changes when I am in it. And any book that captures its feel and smell will be a book that I love. Probably why Beach Music will always and forever be one of my favorite books of all time.

Jeanne said...

We vacation in SC every other year, and have read a lot of books set there. Mary Alice Monroe is another SC author I like.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Thanks guys! I added them both in!

Dale said...

I lived in South Carolina during Jr. High and High School. Pat Conroy's "The Great Santini" made me want to visit Beaufort, never made it there, though. All of Conroy's novels capture the state beautifully.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Dale - I've never read any of Conroy's novels, but now I think I will!

Becca said...

I like your Reading the States series. Check out my Take Me Away posts on Saturdays, which is similar except countries instead of states. I am getting some good adds for my TBR from your posts. :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Becca - Countries would be fun to do! I can think of so many in Italy and England.