Reading the States: Rhode Island

Friday, October 5, 2012


State: RHODE ISLAND

Fiction:
- My Sister's Keeper* by Jodi Picoult
- Spartina by John Casey
- The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty
- The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike
- The Marriage Plot* by Jeffrey Eugenides
- The Edge of Winter by Luanne Rice
- The Art of Keeping Cool by Janet Taylor Lisle
- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
- The Ivory Tower by Henry James

Nonfiction:
- Sons of Providence by Charles Rappleye
- Sudden Sea: The Great Hurricane of 1938 by R.A. Scotti
- The Prince of Providence by Mike Stanton
- Gilded* by Deborah Davis 

Authors Known for Writing in or about the State:

- Alice Kimberly

Authors Who Lived Here:
- H. P. Lovecraft
- Jhumpa Lahiri
- John Hawkes
- Peter Pezzelli
- Jonathan Fast

Great Bookstores:
Island Bound Bookstore
Spring Street Bookstore
Other Tiger
Books on the Square

*Books I've Read

Photo by moi. 

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

I didn't realize that Lovecraft lived in RI. That might explain some things-- it's the weirdest and most interesting place I've ever lived.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jeanne - I didn't know he was from RI either! He was born there and he father died in a hospital there after having a psychotic break. I love how much I'm learning from working on this series.