Friday Favorites: Here is New York

Friday, June 11, 2010


I read this in the week leading up to my first trip to New York City last year. I loved it, then I visited the city and I loved the book even more. It's amazing to me that someone could so perfectly capture the magic of that city and write about it in a way that still rings true 60 years later.

(Lovely Bryant Park and the back of the NY Public Library)

The author, famous for his children's books, Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web, was living in the city in 1948 when he wrote the slim book. White understood that despite being filled with people, NYC can be a lonely place. It gives its inhabitants privacy and anonymity in the midst of its bustling streets. It somehow allows you to feel connected and disconnected at the same time.

I love how White talks about both the city as a whole and the diverse neighborhoods that make up the city. He saw the beauty of the pockets of familiarity within the intimidating beast. He embraced the paradoxes within New York, parks and pavement, rich and poor.


(Me on the gorgeous Brooklyn Bridge)

The essay is a glowing love letter to the city of New York, but there are elements that ring true for any city. The attachment a person can feel for a place, the unique personality a city has, etc. Pick it up before your next trek to the Big Apple or really anytime.

Photos by moi.

4 comments:

Tasha said...

I hadn't heard of this book before reading your post. I've added it to my list.

Jenners said...

We visit NYC quite a bit actually (well, 2 or 3 times a year) so I think this would be a neat read for me.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jenners- I'm jealous. I wish I could get there more. It's a city that I feel like I could visit every year and never tire of.

Amanda said...

xo