Book List: 3 Books You Thought You'd Love But Ended Up Hating

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

This week's meme, from Lost in Books, reverses her last question and asks "What are 3 Books You Thought You'd Love But Ended Up Hating?" Here's what I came up with...

1) The Corrections: Everyone seemed to love this book, but I couldn't stand it. The characters were so selfish and whiny. I get that you can't ever really go home, but I didn't need to read about this self-absorbed family to figure that out.



2) Running with Scissors: I've really enjoyed memoirs on occasion and Burroughs' is a dozy. But in the end it left a bad taste in my mouth, and not just because everyone involved has been living in crazy town for years.


3) Everything by Candace Bushnell: That might seem like an exaggeration, but it's not. I hated Trading Up, Four Blondes and Sex and the City. So, you may ask, why did I keep reading her books? Good question. I loved the show, so I thought there was some redeeming quality I was missing, nope. Her books all lack one important thing: likable characters. In the show you grow to love the four women, even when they make selfish decisions. In the books her characters are so one-dimensional that there's no room to grow to love them.

How about all of you, any books you thought you'd love but hated?

14 comments:

Allie said...

I like Sex and the City (show) but never got into any of the books either.

I think my links got mixed up in my post. I'll make sure to change it. Here is the link to the Dante read-along: http://caravanaderecuerdos.blogspot.com/2010/05/divine-comedy-readalong.html

Jessica said...

I hated the book sex and the city and I read it when I was about 16 and even then I thought it was rubbish. I have running with sissors on my wish list but recently took it off, I'm just not sure I want to read something so depressing.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Thanks Allie! I'm reading The Inferno right now, so I'd love to discuss it with everybody.

You too Jessica? Geez, just don't waste your time on her other books.

Jenners said...

I thought "The Corrections" was going to be way way better than it was. And I'm with you on Candace Bushnell. Usually the book is better than the show/movie, but NOT in this case. However, I diverge with you on Burroughs ... I really liked his stuff ..it was so different from any other memoir I'd read to that point.

Becca said...

I have never even heard of the first book. But I never had an interest in reading or watching the film of Running with Scissors. I don't know why.

I haven't read those 2 Bushnell books, but I did read her book Sex and the City. After watching and loving the show. Well needless to say I was super disappointed that the same characters weren't in the book.

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I love that you mentioned Candace Bushnell-she's an author I've tried to love, but never have been able to read her stuff.

Cecelia said...

When you put down Candace Bushnell, it reminded me of my reaction to Jane Green. I had a friend recommend her books to me in college, since I was known as 'the reader.' I just couldn't stomach them, though - for the same reason (general selfishness). *le sigh*

Nice list! If you want, you can check out mine here.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Rebecca and Buckeye - glad it's not just me.

Celia - I've read a bit of Jane Green as well. Some were ok, but some are just horrible (I'm looking at you Babyville). I actually almost put that on this list. But I didn't really think I'd love it to begin with.

Tasha said...

I was not a fan of The Corrections either.

Anonymous said...

I thought I would love Same Kind of Different As Me but was totally blindsided by the evangelism in it - don't know how I missed/glossed over this component but I didn't finish the book. Hate is still a bit too strong, though.

nomadreader said...

I haven't read The Corrections or Running With Scissors, but I have yet to finish a Candace Bushnell book. I managed to skim enough to get to the end of Sex & the City, but I abandoned 4 Blondes and Lipstick Jungle within twenty pages. Yuck! Yes, I do love both of the tv shows (Lipstick Jungle and SATC)

Stephanie said...

I tried to read Sex in the City, but only made it through the first few pages. Ick. :-)

I will confess to liking Running With Scissors. It was the author's dark, dry sense of humor that hooked me.

http://laughingstars.net

Captain Nick Sparrow said...

Uh oh, I have 3 of those books and I haven't read them yet.

Teacher/Learner said...

I agree about The Corrections...in a way. I thought the characters were a complete waste of time & so unlikeable, but I thought the style of writing was quite good. I've felt that way about some movies before (style great, story not so great) but never a book. Weird, eh?