Dewey 24 Hour Readathon!

Saturday, April 29, 2017

*********  UPDATED HOUR 13 ********

I had great plans for the read-a-thon today. Snacks set out, my reading stack was chosen, then I got the plague. So I will be fighting a nasty flu and chasing after a toddler today. If I get a little reading done it will be a miracle, but I'm going to try! 

READING STATS:
Pages Read: 662 pages 
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Books Finished: 3 (Amadeus
, A Man Without a Country, Bone: Out from Boneville)
Breaks Taken: Lots for Sydney. I also gave myself a break after she was asleep and watched an episode of The Handmaid's Tale. 
Mini-Challenges Completed: 7 (Opening Survey, Give the Gift of Reading, Books to Empower, Picture ChallengeOne Night Reads, Mid-Event Survey, Fur, Scales, and Stuffing)

Sydney (below) is doing her best to distract me from reading.

Introduction Quiz:
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Indianapolis, IN
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? 
I think I'll ignore the stack I picked and maybe do some comfort rereads instead. I'm thinking my favorite Sherlock Holmes and Kurt Vonnegut. 

 3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?  Taking sips of gatorade and hoping I don't throw up.  
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! 
I've got an 80lb dog and a 15 month old keeping me company (distracting me from reading). I also love to travel and I just booked tickets for our next international trip! 
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today?
I've participated in 11 other read-a-thons, but this is the first time I've attempted one with the flu. I wouldn't recomm
end it. 

Mid-Event Survey! 
1. What are you reading right now? A Gentleman in Moscow
2. How many books have you read so far? I'm shocked, but I've finished 3! 
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? I don't know how far I'll make it. 
4. Have you had many interruptions? Yes! Taking care of a toddler, having some trees delivered, generally not feeling so hot because of the flu. How did you deal with those? Just powered through and reading when I could. 
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? That I've been able to get some reading done!


PAST READATHON POSTS:
April and October 2011  /  April and October 2012 / April and October 2013 April 2014 / April and October 2015 /April and October 2016. 

Photos by me.



8 comments:

KaKiJoKoJa said...

I'm sooooooooo sorry you are sick. That's gotta be really hard. I hope you are able to get at least some comfort reading in. Take care of you!

Arenel said...

Bummer( Hopefully, some reading will make you feel a little better, in spite of the flu!

Anonymous said...

Nope, I wouldn't recommend attempting an event like this while sick! Fortunately, I've never been sick for any of my 24 hour events. This is my first Readathon, so we'll see how it turns out.

Amanda said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your flu. :( Hope you feel better soon!

Lisa said...

Hope you feel better soon! I think I'd rather have to call into work sick than not feel good for readathon!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm chasing a toddler too and feeling a teeny bit sad I can't read my usual mounds of books but no flu here so I do feel the smallest bit better.

Readerbuzz.blogspot.com

Julie @ Smiling Shelves said...

Yuck! Hope you feel better soon and that adorable Sydney is helpful. Looks like you're getting a fair amount of reading in despite everything. Yay!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement! I did get some great reading done throughout the day.