Dewey’s 24-Hour Read-a-thon: Part 3

Sunday, April 10, 2011

(Ollie in my library chair)

***UPDATED IN HOUR 19****

It's 2 a.m. here and I'm now reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I'm going to read as long as I can and then probably fall asleep. I'm planning on waking up and posting before the 24 hours is up. Hang in there everyone!

**Hour 12 Update***

The 24-hour read-a-thon is officially half over. I hit a bit of a wall around 4 p.m. (it's now 8 p.m. here) and I took a nap. I also had to play with the pup for awhile (see above), so my momentum definitely slowed down. I'm hoping I can keep going for quite awhile though. Up next is French Milk**, then Affinity or Harry Potter 4.

Here's how I've done sine 8 a.m. this morning...

**FINAL COUNT**

Pages Read:
1,148 pages
Books Finished: 4 (Twelve Angry Men, Are Women Human?, Unafraid, Howl's Moving Castle, Persepolis)
Breaks Taken: 8 (blogging, lunch, blogging, nap, played with Ollie, dinner)
Coffee Consumed: 4 cups + a Starbucks Doubleshot
Music Listened To: Adele, Joshua Radin and The Avett Brothers
Current Location: Back and forth between the chair in my library (see above) and the couch.
Biggest Distraction:
A random wasp that was flying around my house (don't worry, my husband and I teamed up and killed it).
Mini-Challenges Completed: 9

(Page 27, where the heck are the first 26 pages?)

**So update on French Milk. I opened the book to start reading and realized that the first page is #27 (see above). It was missing the first 26 pages of the book. I bought this at Powell's in Portland last year and had been so excited to read it. I'm pretty bummed out, so that's not cool.

**Another note on French Milk**
A Powell's staff member e-mailed me and offered to send a new copy of French Milk. How incredibly awesome are they! Seriously guys, book people are the best!


Photos by moi.

9 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

You are doing really well! I had too much going on this w/end to participate.

Bittner said...

You are doing such a great job! Keep it up!

Here is the cheer I came up with this morning...

How funky is Oscar Wilde
How funky is Oscar Wilde
How Loose is C.S. Lewis
Lewis is totally loose
So come on all you Poe fans
So Come on all you Poe fans
And shake out your Proust
And shake out your Proust!!!

GOOOOOOOOO READERS!!!!!!!!!!!

*if you like my cheer please pass on the encouragement by cheering on my friend Holly!
http://travelingduewest.blogspot.com/

Kathy said...

Man, what a letdown about the missing pages! BUT you can console yourself with the fact that you have the CUTEST PUPPY EVER!!

BookQuoter said...

Congratulations. I am so jealous, but I know I can never do a 24 hour marathon, I get pretty useless if I am not sleeping by 1 am. Plus, don't really think my husband would appreciate it, since today happens to be our anniversary:)

B said...

I took a nap as well. I slept a little longer than I would have liked to, but now I'm feeling refreshed. I'm thinking I'll be able to stay up later reading tonight.

Great job! You are getting a lot of reading done.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Bittner - I love the cheer, hilarious.

Kathy - He really is! Though that can be awfully distracting during a read-a-thon.

BookQuoter - Happy Anniversary! That's definitely more important.

Brenna - I'm hoping the nap helps me stay up later too.

Unknown said...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a note of encouragement. Yours was a wasp, mine was a spider of heroic perportions. Best of luck keeping the other Read-A-Thon distractions to a minimum.

From one newb to another... GOOOOOO READ-A-THON!!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Congrats on a great readathon! Though I don't know how you handled all that coffee! ;) I think I'd be too jittery to read.

Ollie is beautiful--what a great reading companion.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Trish - I worked as a barista in coffee shop through high school and college, so I developed a high tolerance.