Dewey 24 Hour Readathon!

Saturday, October 17, 2015

*********  UPDATED HOUR 24 ********
Pages Read: 932 pages
Currently Reading: Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman

Books Finished: 5, William Shakespeare's Phantom of Menace by Ian Doescher, Ghost World by Daniel Clowes, The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin, Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright, and Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan 
Breaks Taken:To cheer on other blogs, took a couple naps.
Snacks Eaten:Dark chocolate gran marnier pecans my sister brought back from Georgia, chips and guac, chili
Mini-Challenges Completed: 16
Blogs Visited and Commented On: 46
 
You can also find me here on Instagram, Twitter, and LibraryThing

Closing Survey: 
1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Hour 15, I fell asleep at 9 pm and didn't wake up for 4 hours. Whoops.
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Thimble Summer and The Stepford Wives, both were perfect readathon books.
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? You all rock it, just keep on keeping on!
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?  The mini-challenges seemed to go really smoothly this year.
5. How many books did you read?  I managed to finished 5!
6. What were the names of the books you read?
Ghost World by Daniel Clowes, William Shakespeare's Phantom of Menace by Ian Doescher, The Stepford Wives by Ira Levi, Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright, Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman, and Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan
7. Which book did you enjoy most? The Stepford Wives, perfect length and level of suspense for the readathon.
8. Which did you enjoy least? Ghost World, it was a little "teen angsty"  for the readathon.
9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?  I use the provided spreadsheet to mark who I've visited, but I also keep my own list so I make sure to visit everyone on the list.
10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? I participate every time if I can. That will be the first time I'll be reading with a tiny baby, so we'll see how that goes. 
 

Mid-Event Survey:
1. What are you reading right now? Thimble Summer
2. How many books have you read so far?
Three finished, in the middle of two
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? We Were Liars
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? A few, my pup has been needy this readathon and I fell asleep and took a nap.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? I haven't touched even half of my snacks! 


Introduction Quiz:
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Indianapolis, IN
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Some dark chocolate covered pretzel slims, yum!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I'm pregnant with my first kiddo and in my third trimester, so that means my first readathon with no caffeine. We'll see how that goes.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today?
This is my 9th readathon and I think I'm going to embrace the nap this time.
 

Tomorrow is the Dewey Readathon! This will be my 9th time participating in the event. Every April and October, if other obligations don’t get in the way, I spend one whole day reading. It’s always so much fun and I get a ton of reading done. There’s a great sense of community, mini-challenges each hour, cheerleaders and prizes.  Heather and Andi are the incredible ladies who help organize the whole thing and you can get more details at the official site
 

Tomorrow I will be reading from 8 am until whenever I fall asleep. I have my stack of books ready to go (see my pile above) and I will be cheering for at least 4 hours. I am also hosting a mini-challenge this year, so make sure you stop by! 

A FEW NOTES: 
- I will be updating this post throughout the day so I don’t bomb people with half a dozen new posts.
- Please turn off your comment word verification for the day! It’s such a pain for cheerleaders.
- Tweet about your day with the hashtag #Readathon or by tagging @readathon 
- If you need any ideas for great readathon books, all my previous readathon posts are below.

PAST READATHON POSTS:
April and October 2011  /  April and October 2012 / April and October 2013 / April 2014 / April 2015 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, and enjoy the Readathon!

Suey said...

Love the picture! I'm getting my first post ready to go right now too. I wonder how many times I've done the readathon. I've never stopped to count. Probably about nine too!

Paula Elvira said...

Happy readathon! I hope you can manage without caffeine haha. Nap time is always nice. I will probably take one myself ;) -Abby #teamMagnolia

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

You're a better mama than I am--I can't give up caff, though I do try to limit myself to one cup a day. But yay pregnant partner in crime!!! :) Hope it's a GREAT day for you!

mybookstrings said...

Happy Readathon Day! I hope you'll enjoy the books you've picked. I'm sure you'll do great -- even with only 1 cup of caffeine. :)

ebookclassics said...

What an adorable pic of your pooch! Good luck with your reading goals. I'll be thinking of you readathoning without caffeine, but excited for you that baby is on the way.

Jamie E. said...

Neil Gaimon's books have always been good, although I have yet to read Trigger Warning. I love the picture! I saw it online late last night before bed (twitter..instagram...?) and thought it was adorable. I could never get my dog to hold of a picture like that. Mmm, and you have chocolate covered goodies lined up. Always tasty! I hope your reading it going great!
-Jamie @ Vailia's Page Turner

mybookstrings said...

6 hours into the readathon... are you still having fun! Looks like you're making excellent progress with reading, mini challenges, and commenting. Keep it going! :)

Hannah Claire said...

I had no idea there were more of the Shakespearian Star Wars books! I hope you're having a great time during the Readathon!

Beth said...

It will be interesting to see how next year's readathon goes, once you have a little one to help you turn the pages! I was always the mom at the playground with a book, telling my toddler to go play, so don't let anyone tell you that babies mean you have to stop reading. (Of course, I also found nursing to be a great chance to read, although I bet today's ereaders make it even easier.)

Thanks for the hint about comment verification -- I 'll go check that, and thanks for cheerleading.

Julie @ Smiling Shelves said...

Looks like you've gotten a lot read today, despite a nap or two. And all 12 mini-challenges? I haven't even done one! Good luck with the rest of your readathon! :)

mybookstrings said...

Wow, 3 books finished. That's great! Sounds like you're cruising. Have fun with the second half of readathon.

Elizabeth - Elizabeth-Michelle.com said...

The nap is a gift! Take it! Hope you have some energy left and will be around until Hour 18 -- I'm hosting a Blackout Poetry mini-challenge :) Happy reading!

Elizabeth #TeamMagnolia

thecuecard said...

Great going Melissa. Love the photo of your dog too.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Thanks for all the encouraging comments during the readathon guys! I definitely napped more, but I still had fun!