Reading the States: Washington

Friday, November 30, 2012


State: WASHINGTON

Fiction:
- The Last Town on Earth* by Thomas Mullen
- Twilight* by Stephenie Meyer
- Snow Falling on Cedars* by David Guterson
- Citizen Vince by Jess Walter
- The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie
- Annie Jordan: A Novel of Seattle by Mary Brinker Post
- Bread Alone by Judith R. Hendricks
- No-No Boy by John Okada
- The Art of Racing in the Rain* by Garth Stein
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie 

Nonfiction:
- Atomic Farmgirl by Teri Hein
- The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald
- Blazing The Way by Emily Inez Denny
- The Northwest Coast by James Gilchrist Swan
- The Good Rain by Timothy Egan
- Where Bigfoot Walks by Robert Michael Pyle
- The Stranger Beside Me* by Ann Rule
- Starvation Heights by Gregg Olsen
- Skid Road by Murray Cromwell Morgan
- Bretz's Flood by John Soennichsen
- Truth Like the Sun by Jim Lynch 
- The Boys in the Boat* by Daniel James Brown 

Authors Known for Writing in or about the State:
- Jo Dereske
- Lucile Saunders McDonald

Authors Who Lived Here:
- Chris Crutcher
- Tom Robbins
- Pete Dexter
- Steve Martini
- Glenn Beck
- Raymond Carver

Great Bookstores:

*Books I've Read

Photo by moi.

5 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I always enjoy reading these Reading the States posts. I need to try that sometime.

BTW, I am not able to reply by email to your comments, however, I wanted to let you know that Flight Behavior; Kingsolver is worth your time IMO - try it. Have a good December Melissa.

annieb said...

I have read quite a few of the Washington books and I love the state. If you are a dog lover, The Art of Racing in the Rain is really good and The Stranger Beside Me is arguably the best true crime book ever written.

Nikki Steele said...

Washington is a state that I desperately want to visit. Now I see they have quite a few local bookstores? I'm even more sold :D

Alyce said...

I've seen a few there that I've read. I had forgotten about Starvation Heights - fascinating story that.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Diane - Thanks for the tip! I think I will try that one.

annieb - I didn't love The Art of Racing, but I'll have to try The Stranger Beside Me.

Nikki - It's just gorgeous! Seattle is one of my favorite cities. If you go you can't skip a visit to Elliott Bay Book Company, it's heaven.

Alyce - I haven't read that one, I'll check it out!