Back to the Classics 2012 - Completed!

Sunday, September 30, 2012


Woo hoo, I finished the Back to the Classics Challenge! I love this one because it gives me a chance to discover new classics in a ton of categories. It's hosted by Sarah Reads Too Much each year and I hope she does it again next year!

Here's my list and links to my reviews:

1) Any 19th Century Classic: Moby Dick and Bleak House

2) Any 20th Century Classic: Cold Comfort Farm (1935)

3) Reread a classic of your choice: Sense and Sensibility

4) A Classic Play: A Streetcar Named Desire

5) Classic Mystery/Horror/Crime Fiction: The Sign of Four and The Stand

6) Classic Romance: My Antonia

7) Read a Classic that has been translated from its original language to your language: The Count of Monte Cristo

8) Classic Award Winner - The Yearling (won the Pulitzer in 1939)

9) Read a Classic set in a Country that you will not visit during your lifetime: Villette (set in the fictional city of Villette)

8 comments:

annieb said...

Congratulations! That is quite a challenge. I really admire you for reading Moby Dick--that is a "country" I will not visit in my lifetime.

Sandy Nawrot said...

I know this challenge would be the best thing for me. I have gotten too scattered to do any challenges for the last year or two. Good job on this!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

annieb - It was intense but I was really glad I read it.

Sandy - I'm a list maker, so I love challenges. But I'm picky about which ones I do. I only pick two or three a year and they have to fit with what I would already like to read that year.

Nikki Steele said...

This seems like a great challenge -- enough variety and options to allow for any reader.

Care said...

I own a copy of The Yearling. but it's huge! I need to do more buddy/readalongs of the classics if I ever hope to complete them.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Nikki - I like it too. Sarah picks some great categories so there is freedom, but it also makes you get a bit creative.

Care - It was much bigger than I thought it would be.

Sarah Reads Too Much said...

Congrats on finishing!! I don't know how I didn't see this earlier! You even went above and beyond, which is awesome. I hope I can do this again next year... I do love this challenge. I had better make up my mind soon!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sarah - Thanks! I know it's a lot of work to host this challenge, but I hope you do it again!