Back to the Classics 2012
Monday, November 7, 2011Posted by Melissa (Avid Reader)
I'm excited to once again participate in the Back to the Classics challenge in 2012. I'm all about the classics and I'm all about making lists, so this is perfect for me. Sarah Reads Too Much is hosting and there's plenty of time to sign up. The challenge runs from January to December in 2012 and so you have loads of time to complete it.
I decided to at least get an idea of what I'd like to read for the challenge, so I picked a book or two for each category. Here's my possible list...
1) Any 19th Century Classic: Moby Dick (1851) or Bleak House (1853)
2) Any 20th Century Classic: Cold Comfort Farm (1935)
3) Reread a classic of your choice: Sense and Sensibility
4) A Classic Play: A Streetcar Named Desire (1948)
5) Classic Mystery/Horror/Crime Fiction: The Sign of Four and The Stand
6) Classic Romance: My Antonia
7) Read a Classic that has been translated from its original language to your language: The Count of Monte Cristo
8) Classic Award Winner - To clarify, the book should be a classic which has won any established literary award: The Yearling (won the Pulitzer in 1939)
9) Read a Classic set in a Country that you (realistically speaking) will not visit during your lifetime: Villette (set in the fictional city of Villette, published in 1853)
p.s. My post on completing the 2011 challenge will be up in a couple weeks.
Here are the other details from Sarah:
1. Challenge runs from January 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012. Books started before January 1st do not count, and all links/reviews/comments for each category must be posted in the correct place by December 31st. Feel free to join in at any time, but the end date is December 31.
2. Please feel free to use books in this Challenge toward any other Challenge you may be participating in. However, you must read a different book for each category of this challenge. Audio and e-books are allowed.
3. Please sign up for the Challenge using the linky list (or comment section if you do not have a blog/website). If you would be so kind, please spread the word about this challenge by creating a post on your blog/website and link back to this sign up page.
4. Once the Challenge has begun, you will see a new bar on the left hand side of this blog. This will list the places for you to link/comment your reviews of the book you have read for each category as well as a "wrap up" page. I will not be doing monthly check-in posts this year. I will probably do a "Half Way" post in June. These will be important because....
5. THERE IS A PRIZE THIS YEAR! People who complete the challenge (and I will check that all categories are completed!) will be entered into a random drawing for $30 worth of books (Book Depository will be used for an International Winner). I may have other prizes as well.