Traveler's Library

Monday, March 15, 2010


I've been subscribing to National Geographic's Traveler magazine for years. A friend gave me a subscription as a gift once and I've been hooked ever since. One of my favorite things the magazine offers is an online list of books set in or dealing with different locations.

The web site is split up by continent and country. If you're traveling to Western Europe you can finds books like Vienna Blood by Frank Tallis to read during a trip to Vienna. Planning a trip to Sri Lanka? Pick up
Michael Ondaatje's book, Running in the Family.

The site suggests books for dozens of countries. It has a great mix of fiction and nonfiction and a huge range of time periods. You can find a book about the earthquake in San Francisco before visiting or you can find a modern day fiction book set in the same city.

I love reading books connected with the places I'm traveling to before or during my trips. It makes me feel even more connected to the place if I know a little bit of the history or can recognize an architectural description. If you've got any upcoming trips, (or just need to get away via a book) make sure you stop by their site and find a book that's connected to your destination.


2 comments:

nomadreader said...

What a fantastic resource! I love reading novels set in certain places when traveling or dreaming of travel. Thanks for the tip!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I do too. This website has helped me find great books for trips for years now. And if you ever need a recommendation and can't find one on there that sounds good, ask me!