Friday Favorites: Anne of Green Gables

Thursday, February 18, 2010


I fell in love with this book when I was a kid; actually I fell for the whole series. It seemed like Anne (with an E) embodied everything wonderful about childhood. She was fanciful and earnest. I always identified with her stubborn nature and envied her belief in the good of most people. She made me long to find kindred spirits and to give romantic names to everything around me.

In the last few years I've been re-reading the entire series and I still love it, but for completely different reasons. I'm more cynical now and Anne's eternal optimism sometimes seems naive, but it's so beautiful and innocent. In the later books, like Anne's House of Dreams, Anne experience true tragedy and still manages to hang on to her hopeful nature.


As much as I love the character of Anne, there are so many other things about this series that set it apart. The story is full of characters to love, Matthew, Marilla, Gilbert, Diane and so many others. Montgomery's prose is perhaps the most brilliant part of the books. In someone else's hands Anne might have seemed silly and trite. But instead, Montgomery makes her a girl with such a deep and pondering heart that you can't help but root for her. Montgomery manages to say the simplest thing in a way that taps into the deepest part of your heart and makes you nod your head in agreement, because you have no words that could top hers.


If you've never read Anne of Green Gables you should pick it up immediately. If you have read it, but it's been awhile, re-read it. You'll find new gems in the stories that you never noticed before.


Anyone else a fan of the series? Any other series you loved as a kid?

4 comments:

Captain Nick Sparrow said...

I read the series in high school and it was like a separate world and life I lived. I loved it!!! I have been wanting to reread them, but I have so much else to read I'm not sure how soon I'll get around to it.

Kristen said...

I adored Anne of Green Gables and the subsequent books. I still have all of my old copies in hopes that my daughter will read them. So far she's shown zero interest. I may have to go stealth and get either the audio book to play when she's trapped in the car with me or rent the movie for a girl's night with her. ;-)

Mrslouwho said...

Anne was my trouble book. I hid it in the corner where I had my timeouts as a child (and I had many). Sometimes I got in trouble intentionally just to read another chapter. She never made me want to be a good girl but she did fuel my sense of rebellion. Thank you for the memory!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Captain- I always struggle with re-reading my favorite books. I want to, but there are so many other books I need to read!

Kriten- Try the Megan Follows' Anne of Green Gables movies. I loved those as a kid. Maybe those will spark her interest.

Mrslouwho- That's an awesome story. I love that you'd get in trouble just to read a bit more.