Classics Club Spin #6

Sunday, May 11, 2014


 

The Classics Club is hosting another Classics Spin! Pick 20 books off your Classics Club List. On Monday (the 12th) they will announce a random number and you have to read that number off the list you created sometime before July 7th. I’ve listed a mixture of books I’m dreading, ones I’m looking forward to, very old ones, relatively new ones, big ones, small ones, etc. Can’t wait to see what I’ll be reading.


We have a winner! It's #1 Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin. I’ve been meaning to read this book for a long time and it’s not a huge one, so I’m pretty happy!
1) Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
2) Cousin Bette by Honoré de Balzac
3) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
4) Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
5) American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
6) Light in August by William Faulkner
7) Maurice by E. M. Forster
8) The French Lieutenant’s Woman by John Fowles
9) Twenty Years by Alexandre Dumas
10) North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
11) The Quiet American by Graham Greene
12) The Trial by Franz Kafka
13) Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey
14) Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope 
15) King John by William Shakespeare
16) Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe
17) All My Sons by Arthur Miller
18) In Dubious Battle by John Steinbeck
19) Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
20) Germinal by Émile Zola
 
You can check out the complete details here.
 
Image from here.


11 comments:

o said...

Germinal! Lots of people have listed this! :D

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin is so very good, and so is North and South. Cousin Bette - I could live without, I'm afraid. Read it for Dewey's readathon.

I've also got The French Lieutenant's Woman on mine, it's number 6, though.

Hope you get a good one! :)

Lisa said...

You've got a great list - lots of different authors. It's such fun seeing what everyone is posting. I look forward to see what number comes up. I know you're already reading Trollope, but Framley Parsonage is so good!

Riv said...

I wish you'd get Germinal ;) Or The French Lieutenant's Woman. Or The Trial. Or Jane Eyre. I've rated those all with a fiver :)

Kelly said...

I hope you get Germinal! I love Zola (though I haven't read that book yet..). Though you have a great list, so even if you don't get Zola, you'll be reading something fantastic!

Ellie said...

Well that's a lovely looking list! John Fowles is always a winner. Good luck :)

Brona said...

I'm half way through Germinal and loving it, so I wish you that...but I also loved French Lieutenant's Woman and Jane Eyre (a lot!)
Maurice and The Quiet American were also interesting reads (although both were a long time ago for me).

Good luck :-)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

O - I'm glad I got one of the ones you listed as really good!

Lisa - I'll definitely be reading that one no matter what for my readalong, so I'm glad you liked it!

Riv - Jane Eyre is a reread for me because I love it so much. The others are all ones I'm excited about.

Kelly - Everyone is recommending Germinal! I'm going to have to make that one a priority this year.

Ellie - I've never read anything by him, so now I'm excited to check him out.

Brona Joy - Obviously I'm going to have to read all of those now!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy it! There are so many wonderful selections on your list. I particularly love North and South. Gaskell's writing is so accessible and her portrayal of industrial England is fascinating.

Andi said...

Can't wait to hear what you think of Giovanni's Room!

Bybee said...

Cousin Bette is on my shelf. I want to read it, but I dread it.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

misfortuneofknowing - I've been wanting to read North and South since I read and loved Cranford a few years ago!

Andi - I'm excited!

Susan Bybee - I do too for some reason, but I'm not sure why.