Classics Club Spin

Thursday, May 16, 2013



The Classics Club is hosting another Classics Spin! Pick 20 books off your Classics Club List. On Monday (the 20th) they will announce a random number and you have to read that number off the list you created sometime before July 1st. I’ve listed a mixture of books I’m dreading, ones I’m looking forward to, very old ones, relatively new ones, big ones, small ones, etc. Can’t wait to see what I’ll be reading!

We have a winner! It's #6 The Rights of Man. I'm not looking forward to it, but I've been wanting to read it, so this is a good motivation.

1) Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
2) Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
3) The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
4) All My Sons by Arthur Miller
5) Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
6) The Rights of Man by Thomas Paine
7) The Warden by Anthony Trollope
8) Roughing It by Mark Twain
9) Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
10) Germinal by Émile Zola
11) The Island of Dr Moreau by H G Wells
12) The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
13) Native Son by Richard Wright
14) Maurice by E. M. Forster
15) Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey
16) Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens
17) Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
18) Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
19) North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
20) In Dubious Battle by John Steinbeck

You can check out the complete details here.

Image from here

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!
I'm participating too, and I'm very excited because this is my first classics spin :))

I also have Gone with the wind in my list, but I have no favourites because I'm looking forward to reading all of them :)

Kristi said...

I really enjoyed North and South when I read it earlier this year. The audio by Juliet Stevenson is fantastic. Good luck!

The Relentless Reader said...

Good luck with the spin! I'm hoping we get a great number :)

Roof Beam Reader said...

Oh, you've got some good ones on here! I've come close to reading Brothers Karamazov a couple times this year (it's on my Classics Club list, too). Mansfield Park is TOUGH but brilliant. Gone With the Wind is incredible - one of the best books I read last year. I didn't like The Warden (Trollope is just not my kind of writer).

LOVE Mark Twain and Kurt Vonnegut. So much love for both of them. Germinal is BRILLIANT! Maurice is AWESOME. I might read Sometimes a Great Notion for my "Beats of Summer" event next month. Giovanni's Room is brilliant. I've got In Dubious Battle coming up soon for my Steinbeck project.

Oh, man. I just love your list. You're gonna be good to go, pretty much no matter what. Except for Trollope. Lol

Anonymous said...

Good luck! A really good list. I have Dombey and Son as well as Gone With The Wind. Both sound so good, they're just so long!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Isi - GWTW is wonderful! I'm hoping to reread it at some point this year.

Jennifer - I hope so too. I love this idea.

Kristi - If I get North and South I'll definitely have to check out that audio!

Adam - GWTW and Mansfield are rereads for me. I have been saving Maurice because I love Forster and that's my last book by him. So many great ones to choose from! I didn't even think about doing Sometimes for the Beat thing. Just for that I hope I don't get it now.

Charlie - I know! It's hard to commit to the chunksters when the weather is beautiful!

mercury said...

I really hope its 10 cos Germinal is one of those books that lingers long in the mind when you've read it. Just stunning

JoAnn said...

Excellent choices! I did a read/listen combo of North and South last year and loved it. You can't go wrong with Steinbeck, Zola, Forster, or Austen either. Good luck on Monday.

Cat said...

Great list! North and South I loved and I have to put in a good word for Anthony Trollope - I liked The Warden. And Gone With the Wind is wonderful. Hope you will love your spin book!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

mercury - You're making me want to start that one immediately!

JoAnn - Thanks! I'm thinking I need to get an audio copy of North and South soon.

Cat - Apparently I need to read all of books!

Brona said...

I've heard of your #6 spin, but know nothing about it.
I hope you enjoy it.
(I got Tess as a reread which I can't wait to get into :-)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Brona Joy - I think it will be interesting to read it now right after visiting DC and reading 1776.

Unknown said...

Good luck with your choice! It's funny how we "want" to read books that we're not looking forward to - but I definitely know what you mean!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Rachel Bradford - I guess it's funny to voluntarily read a book you aren't looking forward to, but I think reading should make you stretch and step out of your comfort zone. I definitely read lots of books just for fun, but I read others to challenge myself.