This week's Top Ten from The Broke and the Bookish asks for the Top Ten Books I Was Forced to Read (either by teachers, friends, other bloggers, reviews). I’ve picked books that someone recommended; 5 that I read and ended up loving and 5 that I read against my better judgment and didn’t like at all.
1) Watchmen – Recommended by a friend, introduced me to the world of graphic novels.
2) The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie – Recommended by fellow bloggers, love Flavia!
3) The Golden Compass – Recommended by a friend with flawless taste in children’s lit, read it years ago and was so caught up in the story.
4) Ender’s Game – Recommended by my Dad, changed my opinion of science fiction.
5) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead – Read during a creative writing class in high school. First time I realized that plays could be hilarious!
6) Outlander – Recommend by and friend and the entire internet.
7) The God of Small Things – Recommended by Amy Sherman Palladino (a list the Gilmore Girls created with book recommendations). So slow and depressing, just couldn’t get into it.
8) One Day – Recommended by book bloggers, damn it Dexter, stop being such a jerk!
9) The Shack – Recommended by family, I’m not a fan of being smacked in the face with religious allegories.
10) The Celestine Prophecy – Recommended by a co-worker, one of the worst books I’ve ever read.