Classics Club Spin #3

Sunday, August 18, 2013



The Classics Club is hosting another Classics Spin! Pick 20 books off your Classics Club List. On Monday (the 19th) they will announce a random number and you have to read that number off the list you created sometime in August or September. I’ve listed a mixture of books I’m dreading, ones I’m looking forward to, very old ones, relatively new ones, big ones, small ones, etc. Can’t wait to see what I’ll be reading!

**UPDATE My spin book is #4 Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut!**

1) The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
2) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
3) Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
4) Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
5) The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck
6) Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
7) The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington
8) Germinal by Émile Zola
9) Sanditon  by Jane Austen
10) Light in August by William Faulkner
11) Babylon Revisited by F. Scott Fitzgerald
12) Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
13) Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
14) Maurice by E. M. Forster
15) The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy
16) The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
17) Roughing It by Mark Twain
18) The Warden by Anthony Trollope
19) If On a Winter’s Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
20) One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel G. Marquez

You can check out the complete details here.



Image from here


6 comments:

Cat said...

That is quite a challenging list so I hope you will get a book you will love......and are spared no 20. I know many readers love One Hundred Years.. but it's one of the very few books I disliked so much I couldn't finish.
Good luck!

Lisa said...

I've just recently come across your blog & have enjoyed exploring it.

I'm not joining the Classics Spin, but it's fun seeing all the lists & which books people are hoping to draw. You have a great variety! I'll agree with Cat, #20 wouldn't be my first choice.

Falaise said...

That is (Pippi Longstocking excepted!) a pretty daunting list. Personally, I hope you get Gulliver's Travels, the Warden or If On a Winter's Night - all of which I enjoyed.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Cat - I have been dreading One Hundred Years for so long!

Lisa - Glad you found me! I'm so glad I didn't get One Hundred Years!

Falaise - I'm planning on hosting a readalong of If On a Winter's Night with another blogger this fall. I can't wait!

Andi said...

I'm so envious! I added Galapagos to my stacks a month or two ago, and I'm really excited to read it. I didn't put it on my spin list, though, because I needed a push to read some other novels on my stacks.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Andi - I'm really excited about it! I love Vonnegut and this one was recommended to me years ago.