The Other Wes Moore

Monday, January 7, 2013


The Other Wes Moore
by Wes Moore
★★★★

 Two men named Wes Moore were raised in nearby streets in Baltimore. One Wes Moore earned a scholarship to a prestigious university, the other ended up in jail for life. They didn’t meet until their fates were already set, but the result is a fascinating nonfiction look at how they each ended up there.

I’ll admit there were times when I lost track of which Wes Moore’s story I was reading. They have the same name and had very similar lives when they were young. They were both tempted by drugs and violence and they both lost parents to death or abandonment.

The two things that really stood out were the fact that you have to make choices that are good for you and you are responsible for the decisions you make. Also, strong parents/family support is a huge factor in a child’s life. The mentors and leaders that step up in the lives of a young person make all the difference. It made me appreciate the work people do in tutoring and mentoring programs.

BOTTOM LINE: I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. It’s a quick read and well-suited for audio. It wasn’t overly inspirational, just a realistic look at the possible outcome any life could have with just a few minor changes.

6 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

It is always intriguing to think about why you can have two people with the same similar start in life, and their fates go separate directions. Why does one person only rise to a middle level manager position, and the other a VP? It is more than just being in the right place at the right time.

Care said...

oh. I bet this would hit me hard. The what ifs and lost chances and the if onlys...

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sandy - Isn't that incredible. I know some of it is chance and some is your choices, but it's amazing how different your life could be.

Care - Me too, it made me grateful for all the love and support I've had from family and friends in my life.

Jenners said...

I think this sounds great and I'll have to put it on my audio wish list.

Kailana said...

I am not sure if this is for me, but I know a lot about it. It is an interesting idea, though...

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jenners - The audio was good and it's a quick read.