Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors

Saturday, January 19, 2013



Start Here
Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors
by Jeff O'Neal and Rebecca Joines Schinsky
★★★★

The lovely people at Book Riot put this gem together to help readers navigate their way through the work of 25 authors.

There are a few authors on the list that I have already read all of the mentioned books. That list includes; Jane Austen, Ray Bradbury, Charles Dickens, E.M. Forster, and Edgar Allan Poe. I think that with each of these authors the suggested books are a great snapshot of their work.

There are other authors that I have read almost all of the work mentioned, like Ernest Hemingway, Neil Gaiman, Richard Russo and John Irving. With each of these authors I either learned a new tidbit about their lives or was encouraged to pick up another book they’ve written.

The authors I was the most excited about were the ones that are completely new to me and the ones I’ve heard about for years, but have never managed to read. Most are intimidating authors that I’ve never really known where to start. I’m hoping to try one by Italo Calvino, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Haruki Murakami this year and I’m grateful to have a place to begin.

BOTTOM LINE: If you’re curious about finding new authors this book is a must. Someone else has already done the hard work for you. All you have to do is pick up the suggested books and start reading!

**You can get a kindle copy here. I’m in no way affiliated with Amazon or Book Riot, I just think this book was a great idea and I’m excited that people may find some new authors they love.


6 comments:

Dale said...

I highly recommend 1Q84 by Murakami. It's long and a little strange, but very enjoyable.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Curious where it says to start with Murikami! I've only read his Kafka on the Shore but fell in love. Ti from Book Chatter is putting on a super informal readalong of Wind-Up Bird Chronicles in April if you're interested! Should be fun!! And will be six weeks so lots of time to read (think my copy is 600 pages).

Care said...

I've not read any Forster or Calvino and probably many other authors.
My rec for Murakami is not 1Q84 but Wind-Up Bird but that's my own opinion.

Jenners said...

Cool!!! And I see a few people mentioned Ti's Wind-Up Bird Chronicle readalong in April. That would be a great start with Murakami. I've been exploring him. I think a great intro is his book "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running."

Nikki Steele said...

I just got mine the mail and haven't had time to read it! Scratch that -- I don't want to read it yet, knowing that I'll have a full list of books by the end of it that I'll be dying to read and with no time to read those.

Definite kudos to BookRiot for pulling together such a great book :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Dale - Thanks Dale. I'm a little intimidated by the size of that one, but I hope to get to it eventually.

Trish - That sounds like a good read-along. I'm hosting one in April for the Classics Club (Birdsong), but I may join in Ti's as well.

Care - Sounds like Wind-Up Bird is the place to start!

Jenners - I may have to join in that readalong, it sounds like a good place to start.

Nikki - I'm jealous you have a hardcopy! I bought mine for my kindle, but I definitely ended up with a huge list of books to read.