January Classic Meme Question

Saturday, January 12, 2013



What is the best book you’ve read so far for The Classics Club — and why?
It’s a tie between The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas and Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters by J.D. Salinger. I loved Count because the story was incredible. It was a slowly-building masterpiece. I loved the characters, I wanted the villains to get their just desserts and Dumas didn’t disappoint. 

I loved Raise High because it’s so beautifully written. Salinger draws you into the intoxicating world of the Glass family and you can’t look away. Even as Seymour’s world is crumbling all you want is to get to know him better.

Both books were really amazing in different ways and I'm so glad I put both on my Classics Club list. 

What great books have you discovered lately?


6 comments:

Lemon Tree said...

The Count! It's one of my favourites. I've never read the other one, though. But I can say taht Monte Cristo is not a book you can easily forget, especially after a lot of effort you put when finishing it.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Lemon Tree - I completely agree. It's like War & Peace and Les Mis in that way. You have to really commit to it, but it's really worth it!

Reading Pleasure said...

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favourites. Lemon Tree is right, it is unforgetable.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Reading Pleasure - I can't believe I waited so long to read it!

Cat said...

Sounds as though I should add The Count to my list as it seems to be a favourite of everyone. I haven't read Salinger either.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Cat - I'd recommend starting with Salinger's Nine Stories. It's a great introduction to his work.