2015 TBR Pile Challenge

Monday, December 1, 2014



The Roof Beam Reader (Adam) is once again hosting the TBR Pile Challenge. I am pretty picky about what challenges I participate in, but I love this one because it encourages me to read books I already own. 

The Goal: To finally read 12 books from your “to be read” pile (within 12 months).

Specifics: Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list for AT LEAST one full year. Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the “can’t get through” pile.


Here’s my list for 2015:

1) Gulliver's Travels (Done)
    by Jonathan Swift
2) A Girl of the Limberlost (Done)
    by Gene Stratton-Porter
3) The Ghost Map (Done)
    by Steven Johnson
4) Tess of the D'urbervilles (Done)
    by Thomas Hardy
5) Asterios Polyp (Done)
    by David Mazzucchelli
6) Master and Commander (Done)
    by Patrick O'Brian
7) Kafka on the Shore (Done)
    by Haruki Murakami
8) The Night Watch (Done)
   by Sarah Waters
9) Light in August  
    by William Faulkner
10) The Circus in Winter (Done)
    by Cathy Day
11) Inherit the Wind (Done)
    by Jerome Lawrence
12) On the Beach  
    by Nevil Shute

ALTERNATES:

1) A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Done)
     by Laurie R. King  
2) A Quiet Storm (Done)
     by Rachel Howzell Hall

11 comments:

Fanda Classiclit said...

I have Gulliver's Travels too in my reading list (but not the TBR Pile's).

Laurie King's A Monstrous Regiment is interesting, although I like the Beekeeper's Apprentice slightly more.

Good luck with the challenge! :)

Lisa said...

It seems like a lot of us are focusing on our TBR stacks these days :)

You have some of my favorite authors & books on your list. I'm another fan of Laurie King's Monstrous Regiment, and a very big fan of Patrick O'Brian. I hope you enjoy your list, and the challenge!

Brona said...

I'm not sure I will join in next year since I failed so miserably this year!
I read lots off my TBR pile, just not the ones I nominated :-/

I love the Master & Commander series - the friendship between Aubrey & Stephen is wonderful. It took me 2-3 yrs to read the entire series (my old bookclub celebrated the last one with me by having a nautical themed night :-)

Glad to see you have an Aussie book to save for next Nov too!!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Fanda - I loved The Beekeeper's Apprentice so I'm looking forward to that one.

Lisa - I've been curious about the O'Brian books for so many years!

Brona - Hey if you read off your TBR then that's a success! On the Beach was on my list to read before our trip last year and I didn't get to it : )

Anonymous said...

Tess is, hands down, my favorite novel. I hope it makes its way off your TBR stack soon!

o said...

I love Tess as well - hope you enjoy it! :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

ardentread - I am so excited about that one now!

o - I've read two other Hardy novels, Jude the Obscure and Return of the Native and though they were tragic I loved them both. I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I liked parts of Gulliver's Travels, but it got dull for me by the end... on the other hand, I LOVED Light in August. It's definitely my favorite Faulkner.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Roofbeamreader - I think Gulliver's Travels is one of those I need to read even if I don't love it. I'm really excited about the Faulkner now.

Anonymous said...

Great list! Good luck this year - I sign up every year and fail, but I am trying to prioritize more this year.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

caitieflum - I love this challenge because it motivates me to read books that I've put off for years. We'll see how I do : )