Classics Club Readathon!

Saturday, January 5, 2013


The Classics Club, where I am a moderator, is hosting its very first readathon today! So I'm going to be reading as much as I can and occasionally updating this post. I hope you'll join in! 

You can check out the details here



I'm planning on reading Persuasion by Jane Austen and Little Women by Alcott, both are books I'm currently re-reading. I'm going to dip into New Year's Day by Edith Wharton, because I found a lovely old copy of it on New Year's Eve. I also have Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams and Flannery O'Connor's collection of short stories, A Good Man is Hard to Find standing by if I want to read them as well. 

**UPDATE 11 pm EST **

I was gone for most of the morning, but finally started reading in the afternoon. Then after an hour of reading I fell asleep... fail. In my defense I've had a horrid head cold/cough for the last four days and that really takes it out of you. But I'm still reading and hopefully will do better in the next couple hours. 

Here's how far I've gotten...

Little Women: 101 pages 
Persuasion: 81 pages 
New Year's Day: 160 pages - Finished! 
A Good Man is Hard to Find: 46 pages 

Total: 388 pages, one finished book 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A nice selection :) Good luck!

Jenna said...

You have a great list! Best of luck to you today. :)

Cat said...

Persuasion is my favourite Jane Austen. Have a lovely reading day!

Allie said...

I grabbed the same Williams play, courtesy of this post. :) Hope the reading is going well!

Brona said...

Better late than never!
I've also succumbed to an afternoon snooze mid-chapter!
Good luck for the second half of the 'thon.
Brona's Books

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I wish I could have read for longer, but it was fun!

Cassandra said...

Despite not liking Jane Austen in general at all I have to admit that I love Persuasion :)
The readathon was great, thanks for hosting!

Care said...

Congrats on this! What other classics are you hoping to read this year? ANy suitable for a readalong? I'm always up for anything on the 1001 Books Before Dying list.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Cassandra - I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hope we do it again next year.

Care - I really want to read Dombey and Son this year and Trish and I are hosting a readalong of Vanity Fair starting mid-February! You and I should pick one from the 1,001 Books List and do a readalong!