Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Want To Reread

Tuesday, September 27, 2011


I love the question from this week's Top Ten list at The Broke and the Bookish. I think blogging makes me read books differently in some ways. I take note of the things I love about a book in a more concrete way and think critically about what worked and didn't work. There are so many books I read before I started blogging and I'd love to reread them now with that new mindset.

1) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: I loved this whole series the first time I read it, but it's been almost 10 years. I'm curious to see if I'd find it as funny as a reread.


These three are just amazing and I wish I could read them for the first time again. I think I will reread them for years to come.

2) The Thirteenth Tale


3) The History of Love

4) The Shadow of the Wind


5) Gone with the Wind: I loved it when I read it back in 2003. When I started blogging I saw this one every where and people talked about how much they loved it. Then I read this book about the story behind Gone With the Wind and have been dying to read it again ever since.

6) Persuasion: I've read all of Jane Austen's major works and some of her minor works and Persuasion was my favorite. I'd love to reread it and see if I still feel that way.

7) Ender's Game: I adore this book, but after reading it I went on to read all 8 of the sequels and companion books. I want to start from the beginning and read the book that had such a big impact on me the first time around.


8) And Then There Were None: My first and favorite Agatha Christie book. I recommend this one constantly and it's been too long since I've read it myself.

9) The Perks of Being a Wallflower: I was a freshman in college when I read this and I thought it was so beautiful. Now there's a movie coming out and I want to reread it before then.

10) American Gods: My very first Gaiman, read back in 2007. It's not a great place to start with him. Since reading this I've read almost everything else he has written and have grown to love his work and dark sense of humor. Now that I appreciate his style more, I think I would get a lot more out of his masterpiece. Plus the HBO series based on the book is coming out sometime in the next year or two.

23 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

All of the books on this list that I have read I would totally re-read! The Thirteenth Tale, Shadow of the Wind, GWTW, Persuasion. I'm not a big re-reader though for some reason. I've only done this a handful of times, but I need to change this.

Ana S. said...

I need to re-read Hitchhiker's myself! It's one of my favourite series, and it's been far too long.

Sidne said...

I might be able to swing Gone with the Wind.
here is mine:
heep://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

My Life With Books - Jennifer K Jovus said...

Here is this wallflower book again. I have got to get it!
Jen

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sandy - I struggle with re-reading. I feel like I'm "wasting" time when I could be trying a new book. But I've learned it's valuable and makes you appreciate the books you love even more.

Nymeth - It has been far too long for me too, but I find myself thinking about things from those books all the time (always carry a towel, the # 42, etc.)

Sidne - GWTW is on my list for next year.

Jen - It's being made into a movie right now with Hermione from HP!

Anonymous said...

I want to reread The Thirteenth Tale as well. In a roundabout way, that is one of the books that launched my interest in the classics and I'd love to reread it and see what I think of it now.

It won't happen anytime in the near future but at some point I'd also like to reread Gaiman's American Gods - such a complex book!

Like you mentioned, I struggle with rereading. There are so many books that I haven't read that it's hard to carve out time to reread.

IngridLola said...

Such a great list! So many books on here that are on my TBR but haven't gotten to yet ...

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

everybookandcranny - American Gods was so complex! That's why I'd like to re-read it. I didn't appreciate a lot of it the first time around.

IngridLola - My TBR list is embarrassing. That's why I struggle with rereading books!

Kayla said...

The Thirteenth Tale is on my list too! Such an amazing book.

I must, must, must read Hitchhiker's Guide soon! It's been on my TBR list since middle school!! I put it on the last TTT post (books everyone's read but me).

bookmagic said...

I loved The Thirteenth Tale. i wish that author would write another book

Megan said...

There's a Perks of Being a Wallflower movie? I had no idea. It might be a problem with this rock I live under. ;-) In that case, it's definitely due for a reread because I really liked it the first time around, too.

Ender's Game and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy are two of these books that are on my shelves that I'm perpetually intending to read but never actually getting around to reading. I need to put them on my ever-lengthening to-do list.

Jenners said...

I love your reasons for wanting to reread books. I don't tend to reread so much (too many new books to read for the first time) but I know what you mean about wanting to read certain books now that we have a more critical eye.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I liked the most of the books that you have selected. Can you believe that I have never read Gone With the Wind? LOL

Trisha said...

It's funny, but I've actually read multiple books on your list multiple times! I definitely recommend Hitchhiker's for a re-read. I think I'm up to 10 times now. :)

Carl V. Anderson said...

I really need to reread The Thirteenth Tale at some point. It is a marvelous book.

And I am a big fan of And Then There Were None as well. Have you seen the old black and white film based on it? Very creepy.

I need to read Shadow of the Wind, it has been on my shelf for years.

B said...

I've got And Then There Were None on my TBR wishlist. Hopefully I can get to it in October for RIP.

I'd also like to reread The History of Love and The Shadow of the Wind. I adored both the first time around.

She said...

I whole heartedly agree with Shadow of the Wind. I would love to read that again for the first time.

Also, I had no idea there's a series coming out for American Gods. EXCITING.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Kayla - You've got to read it, it's hilarious!

Bookmagic - I'm always nervous to read author's follow up books. When someone writes something as good as The Time Traveler's Wife, their next book (Her Fearful Symmetry) can't possibly be as good.

Megan - It's set to release next year! I have some books that never seem to make it off my TBR shelf too.

Jenners - I'm not great at rereading either, but I'm trying to make it a proprity.

Diane - You've got to read that one. The movie is wonderful, but the book has so much more.

Trisha - That's impressive! I better get started on my first re-read.

Carl V. - The movie is so creepy! I love it. You'll have to check out The Thirteenth Tale!

Brenna - It would make a perfect October read.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

She - The American Gods series is a ways off, but I think it will be a fascinating project.

Carl V. Anderson said...

I've read Thirteenth Tale, read it when it came out. Love it. Just want to make time to read it again sometime.

*ೃ༄ Jillian said...

Totally agree on Persuasion and Gone With the Wind. I haven't read the rest on your list! :-)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Carl V. - Oh, reread it, I see that. I was going to say, you'd love that one!

Jillian - It's an odd mix of genres, but they're all good ones!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Great great list! Many of these are ones I'd love to re-read as well (and regularly recommend) but also a few I want to read for the first time! I really want to read American Gods.