R.I.P. Challenge

Thursday, September 1, 2011


I have been reading about the R.I.P. Challenge since I started blogging almost two years ago. This is my first year to participate though. The challenge runs from Sept. 1 until Oct. 31, so there's plenty of time to fit in a few books.

Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings is hosting the challenge for the sixth year and here are the details if you want to join in. There are lots of levels of participation, so check it out!

The purpose of the R.I.P. Challenge is to enjoy books that could be classified as:

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller/Dark Fantasy/Gothic/Horror/Supernatural

I'm going to do the following challenge...

Peril the First:

Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (my very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be Stephen King or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming or Edgar Allan Poe…or anyone in between.

I think I'm going to try and read 4 of the following books...

1) The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
2) Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl
3) A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley
4) The Stand by Stephen King
5) The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
6) Wild Nights! by Joyce Carol Oates
7) The Night Watch or Affinity by Sarah Waters

Maybe Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs if I can get my hands on a copy. I also may add another book to that list if something brilliant comes along.

I can't wait to get started.

12 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Me too - Love this Challenge. Great list you have planned.

Sarah Reads Too Much said...

This challenge looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy!

Amanda said...

The Woman in Black is on my list too!

Sandy Nawrot said...

Oh, I want to read Miss Peregrine's too! Everything else that I'm reading will just fall into place. It is never hard for me to do a Peril the First just with my normal reads. I would recommend Affinity for a RIP theme. Night Watch is really more dramatic relationships, after affects of war, etc. I LOVE Affinity.

B said...

I am happy you are participating! This challenge is so much fun. Also, The Moonstone is awesome and would be perfect for this challenge. Highly recommend!

Heather said...

You have a great list there! I loved Miss Peregrine. And of course, I adore Wilkie. The Moonstone is fantastic!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Diane/Sarah - Thanks guys!

Amanda - We'll have to compare notes.

Sandy - Thanks! That's good to know, I'll go with Affinity.

Brenna - I loved The Woman in White, so I have a feeling I'll love The Moonstone too.

Heather - Miss Peregrine looks like it would be perfect for this challenge. I just need to justify buying it right now.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

This is my first year participating as well - I'm so looking forward to it!

Will Errickson said...

That stuff's like the only stuff I *do* read! ;-)

Darlyn (Your Move, Dickens) said...

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on The Moonstone. I have it in my TBR pile, but I find its length intimidating. Also, The Woman in White has been made into a movie starring Daniel Radcliffe. I can't wait to see it. :)

Anonymous said...

Miss Peregrine is excellent!

And omg I really want to read the Woman in Black mainly because of the Daniel Radcliffe movie.

AND AND AND The Stand is excellent. It's a book that I still think about.

Best of luck with RIP!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Natalie - We may be late to the party, but at least we're here!

Will - Ha, well this challenge is perfect for you!

Darlyn - I saw The Woman in Black trailer and it looks amazing!

April - I finished The Woman in Black and it was so scary (in a good way)! I've never read a massive King book before, so The Strand seems like a good one to start with.