Non-Bookish Things I'm Loving

Friday, March 20, 2015

(Ice fishing in the middle of a lake. 
Yup, I'm done with the cold weather)



You guys, this winter just kicked my butt. I am so glad that it is finally Spring and I can leave work without it already being pitched black. So here are a few non-bookish things I'm loving right now, just because.

TV: Wallander, with its gorgeous landscapes and excellent performance of a troubled detective by Kenneth Branagh is hitting the spot. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was fun and the third season of House of Cards was fantastic!

MUSIC: Seth Avett (from The Avett Brothers) & JessicaLea Mayfield covered some Elliott Smith songs. I had the chance to listen to them and it was a trip down memory lane for me. I adored Smith’s music during my senior year of high school and all through college and these covers reminded me why.

DRINK: I'm on a Scottish Ale kick right now and I particularly love Founder’s Backwoods Bastard and Cutter’s Floyd's Folly. Also, Care told me about a new app, Untappd, and I've been trying to use that to keep track of beers I like.

FOOD: The Huz and I made a spinach, mushroom, and feta quiche and it was so good! We made it a half a dozen times and have yet to get sick of it. You guys have any great recipes to share? I’m also loving Roasted coconut chips from Trader Joe's. Oh my goodness they are delicious. I don't have a sweet tooth, but these are my new favorite snack.

Also, no sock weather is back! I am so sick of wearing socks and boots and constantly feeling like my feet are freezing. This week for the first time I got to slip on ballet flats and go to work.  Bonus, I end up with less laundry to do.

In other news, I'm planning a baby shower for my sister-in-law. What are some of your favorite things you've seen at showers lately? I tend to hate bridal and baby showers, but I’d love to find some ways to make this one fun. Any ideas?


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did a book themed baby shower for my sister last year. We made a simple banner with book jackets clothes-pinned to a ribbon, and decorated with stuffed animals of book characters (my daughter loaned us a bunch of her animals :) ). The cake was a replica of The Giving Tree (professionally made). Games were themed too - match quotes to titles. Guest were asked to use an inscribed book instead of a card - board books and Little Golden books cost about the same as a card.

Meg @ write meg! said...

My baby shower will be sock monkey-themed with a definite book element, too. We're asking folks to bring beloved children's books to build Baby J's library, and I can't wait to see what arrives! Honestly, I'm more excited for the baby books than anything else. :)

Also quite glad it's spring, even though we're getting some light snow here in Maryland at the moment! Before today, it was beautiful no-coat weather . . . I was loving the heck out of it!

Kat @ NoPageLeftBehind said...

Oooh, I really want to watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - glad to hear you think it's a fun show! The last baby shower I went to had a fun game where everyone had a ribbon "necklace" with baby safety pins on it. Whenever someone says "baby" - the first lady to call them out on it gets a pin from the speaker. At the end of the shower whoever has the most safety pins gets a prize! All shower games are a bit silly but I suppose that's part of the fun :)

Rob said...

I love Wallander! Can't wait for season 4.

I also love Scotch ales! The Angry Scotch Ale from Russell is my current fav.

Kailana said...

I am loving the longer days, too! Mackie will play outside longer if it is light out. So, we have been playing more which is good for exercise purposes.

Belle Wong said...

The weather's been so much nicer lately - can't quite wear ballet flats outside, but I've been happy to be donning my walking boots instead of the heavy snow boots! I need to watch Wallander, too.

Jillian said...

Quiches are so good! And ah, I love party planning especially showers!! :) We once bought a bunch of wooden blocks (the same size as the normal wood toy blocks kids play with) and in each of them is a message from a guest! That could be a guest book and a toy once the baby grows up a little bit more.
We also did the 'water broke' game where we bought small baby plastic things (you can ask the party store for this) and freeze them in the ice cubes. First one to have their ice melt and get the baby wins a prize. It's a nice game to play for everyone without really trying.
We also did a write funny notes on diapers, so that when the parents are changing the baby, they get cute/funny/sweet/encouraging messages. One person wrote "you have this backwards dad!" It was hilarious.

I would love a Winnie the Pooh theme. Yellow and white, perfect for spring/summer.

Trisha said...

Hear, hear for no socks! And the Avett Brothers. :)

Heather said...

I'm making that quiche this week! I'm so excited to hear you love it! I hope my family does too.

Anonymous said...

YES! That's the quiche! And YAY untappd! :D

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

abibliophilesstyle - I love that! We're definitely going to do the book instead of a card thing. So fun!

Meg - Well I may have spoken too soon. It's currently sleeting outside. Ugh.

Kat - Kimmy is cute. Her earnestness is what makes the show.

Rob - Oh yum, I'm going to have to find that one.

Kailana - My pup has been loving the sunshine!

Belle - Wallander is very dark and brooding, but so good!

Jillian - Those are such sweet ideas! I love the thought of parents seeing the fun messages while changing the baby's diaper.

Trisha - Yay for both!

Heather - Enjoy! It's seriously wonderful.

bkclubcare - So delicious!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

And I can eat all of those ingredients in the quiche!! LOL! It sounds absolutely delicious and I've been at a loss for breakfast foods. Wonder if this would keep for a few days?

And YAY spring. I hate when the clocks move forward (especially pesky with children who do not understand why they have to go to bed when the sun is still awake), but I LOVE that extra daylight. Does a body good.

(ps...love this kind of post) :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Trish - It definitely warms up well in the microwave. Our's never lasts more than a couple days though because we eat it all! Don't even get me started about evil daylight savings time.

thecuecard said...

I'm no help with ideas for bridal or baby showers, but I love the Avett Brothers. Hooray for spring. Enjoy! Cheers. http://www.thecuecard.com

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

thecuecard - They are the best!