A Day in the Life

Sunday, March 29, 2015


Well, it's kind of fitting that I couldn't manage to get my Day in the Life post up on the right day. Folks, that's just how life has been lately. Anyway, Trish had this awesome idea about posting what your daily life looks like. Of course, I let a million other things get in the way of actually writing my post, but I'm hoping she'll be ok with better late than never! So here's an average day in my life...

6:20 - Up and run on the treadmill (right now that's only happening about once a week... boo) while watching Call the Midwife. OR sleep in a few more minutes and up at 6:40. Say bye to the Huz as he heads to work. He's already feed Ollie pup and let him outside. Shower and get ready for work. I listen to an audiobook while I get ready (right now it's Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry).

7:20 - Head to the office. I listen to a different book in the car while I'm driving. I'm listening to American Lion right now, which helps take the edge off the stupid morning commute drivers. 

7:55 - Into the office, have my first giant cup of coffee and a greek yogurt cup for breakfast. 

8 to 1 - A million different work things. Some days it's writing an article for my magazine. Some times it's a meeting for a committee that I run. Other times I'm at the Statehouse for an event or interviewing someone for an article. Some days I edit people's columns or put together our monthly E-Newsletter. Honestly, it's always something different and I love that. 

12:30 or 1 or 1:30 - Whenever I remember, I take lunch. My latest favorite has been Greek salad (see above) or a turkey wrap and an apple. I love reading while I eat my lunch, but it just depends on how busy work is. This week I've been reading Hollow City during my lunch break.


1:30 to 5 - Whatever other random work stuff my day holds. Assume at least one meeting and some writing. I work at a state association, so it's a lot of putting out fires, planning events, etc. I'm pretty strict about trying to leave by 5 pm, because otherwise my whole day disappears.

5 to 5:30 - Sit in traffic for too long on the way home while listening to an audiobook. 

So my week nights are a mixed bag. Monday nights are spent at Bible Study Fellowship until 9 pm. Once a week I review live theatre in Indianapolis, which means I get home around 10 pm. Once a month I have book club. The Huz and I usually do dinner with friends at least one night a week. So an average week for me is about 3 or 4 nights out, 3 or 4 nights in. 

Nights In:
5:30 to 6:30 - Grocery shopping some days (see absurd shopping selfie above, taken when my sister texted and asked what I was up to last week), others I start cooking when I get home after sorting through the mail, letting Ollie pup out, feeding him, changing into comfy clothes, etc. 

6:30 - Dinner with the Huz, always a highlight. We like to cook together when we can, but lately he's been having to work later.


8 - The best nights end with me, Ollie, and the Huz curled up on the couch with a great TV show or book and a glass of wine. Lately we've been watching Bloodlines on Netflix. SO GOOD! 

11 - We usually go to bed between 10:30 and 11:30. Sometimes I read in bed for another half an hour or so. 

So that's what my days normally look like. Nothing too thrilling, but despite the occasional chaos I kinda love it.

15 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow, you put in a full day!

thecuecard said...

Cool Melissa. You fit it all in. Are you in Chicago? Your dog of course is adorable. A Lab? We have a Lab too. Fun. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

You fit a lot of different books into your day! This meme is such a great idea - I've enjoyed this peek into your life.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Bermudaonion - I don't know how all the amazing women with kids do it!

thecuecard - He's a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and at 80 lbs he thinks he's a lap dog. We're in Indy!

Lisa - The days fly by! I loved this post idea. It's fun to see everyone's lives.

Jillian said...

Trying to do a 'day in the life' is tough, because well, there's just too many things to do in one day! Who has time for pictures? haha. Love your day though, sounds productive but also relaxing!!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've enjoyed reading these posts. Your dog is so cute.

Kay said...

I enjoyed reading about your day! And I love that little salad carrier thing. Does the dressing go in the that center part? It was fun to read about everyone. We all have our own lives, but we have a lot of overlap - especially the books, of course. LOL

Jeanne said...

Your grocery shopping selfie is great. I'm always ignoring people in the grocery store because I day dream through it--wearing earbuds might be a way to show that.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jillian - I know. It's strange to try to write out what you do every single day. There are so many things that are part of your routine that you do without much thought.

Diane - He knows it too :)

Kay - Yes! Dressing goes in the little red cup in the middle. I got two at Christmas and we've been using them for out work lunches. It's so convenient!

Jeanne - I tend to listen to audiobooks or really upbeat music that helps me get through the crazy packed aisles at 6 pm at night.

Literary Feline said...

I enjoyed reading about your day, Melissa. It can be hard to get motivated to exercise so early. I managed to today--so I'm feeling proud of myself. LOL

Your job sounds really interesting. It's nice when you are able to work at a job you like.

I love to cuddle with my animals while I read or watch television too. It's usually a combination of my daughter and one of the cats--they sometimes compete for my lap.

Thank you for sharing your day!

Belle Wong said...

Love this glimpse into your day! Wow, you get a ton of stuff done at work. And Ollie is so cute!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Isn't it great when your day is full of variety? More often than not I'm doing the same thing but I love when something new pops up for me to tackle!

Love how cuddly Ollie pup is and I LOVE that salad holder. Brilliant!! Do you remember where you got it? And you look so cute and full of mischief in that picture. LOL!

Of course better late than never. ;)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Literary Feline - I always feel so proud of myself when I work out too! I've had a lot of different jobs over the years and I've learned I'm always happier when I'm being challenged.

Belle - The days tend to fly by!

Trish - I do! I got it on Amazon here... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EYIDOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My only complaint is that it isn't dishwasher safe, other than that I love it!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I try to make sure to take lunch every day too. I need the time away from my desk to clear my head and feel refreshed in the afternoon. Thanks for sharing about your day!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Kim - Some days are too busy and I work through lunch and I always miss it!