Emily of New Moon

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Emily of New Moon
by L.M. Montgomery
★★★★☆

Emily Byrd Starr is a dreamer. Even at a young age she writes poems and wanders through nature. When she is orphaned by the death of her father her mother’s estranged relatives descend upon her home and draw lots to decide who will care for her.

This novel obviously shares a lot of ground with its predecessor, Anne of Green Gables. The author’s two heroines share similar temperaments and interests. There are also a lot of characters that feel very familiar. Emily’s Aunt Elizabeth Murray is reminiscent of Marilla, while her Aunt Laura takes Matthew’s role of a softer guardian.

That being said, Emily is a great character on her own and I think my appreciation for her will develop even more with the other books in the series. She has a wonderful imagination, but she can be stoic around strangers. She’s strong-willed and stands up for herself when she feels she has to. She’d immensely loyal and trusting. We also get the chance to see her with her beloved father before he dies, something we never had with Anne.

The story follows Emily as she moves to New Moon and settles into a new life there. She has a deep love of cats and doesn’t make friends easily at first. I loved her best friend Ilse. She is a little unapologetic spitfire. Her close friends also include her cousin Jimmy with his penchant for poetry, the hired boy Perry and her classmate Teddy.

BOTTOM LINE: If you read and loved Anne of Green Gables then you can’t miss this one. Montgomery writes wonderful characters and I can’t wait to read the rest of the trilogy.

“Gossip lies nine times and tells a half-truth the 10th.”

7 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

OK please don't judge but I never read Anne of Green Gables. Someone was sleeping on the job though, because I would have loved to have read that growing up. I loved (love) stories like this. It helps even out all the murder and mayhem.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sandy - I read the Ane series growing up, but I'd never heard of these until recently! I do love the balance these sweet books provide.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I loved the Anne series growing up (movies) but when I tried to read the book I just couldn't get into it. I hadn't heard of the Emily books until just a few years ago but I've heard that they're very good. Glad to see your recommendation. I'm adding them to the list of bedtime books I can't wait to read aloud. ;)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Trish - These would be perfect to read to your girls!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I can't remember if I've read this book or not. That is a lovely cover on the one you have pictured.

I am a BIG Anne fan, in fact I'm determined to spend time re-reading the Anne books this summer. Its been too long.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds awesome. I love the cover.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Carl - I just re-read them a couple years ago, they're such a treat!

Juju - I love that cover too. I had a different one, but it's not as pretty.