Antique Books and a Happy Book Lover

Friday, April 18, 2014

(The books that I'm keeping!)

 There are some serious perks to people knowing you love books. Recently one of the Huz' best friends helped someone move. They had boxes and boxes of "old books" that they were gong to throw away. Seriously, they were going to put them in a dumpster! The guy said our friend could have them if he knew anyone who liked books.
 

Lucky me! Our friend immediately called the Huz to see if I might be interested. Needless to say I was grinning like a fool when they brought the books over. There were about a dozen boxes and about half were cheap paperback Grisham and King novels and things like that. The Huz and I carefully went through each box together. Every few minutes I would squeal as I pulled out a 1917 edition of The Merchant of Venice or the 1857 edition of the Bible.

 
The photos are just a few of the beautiful covers I took pictures of for my LibraryThing cataloging. The Crime and Punishment book is actually a 1940s two volume set with wood carving illustrations by Fritz Eichenberg. It matched the editions I already owned of Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre! The cover next to it (above) is called World's Great Detective Stories and it's a 1800s edition with a soft leather cover and stories by Tolstoy, Poe, Doyle, Dickens and more.


I am going to donate about 80% of the books, but at least they will be going to someone who might read them instead of into the trash! The remaining 20% are all gems that are staying with me. I just had to share because I knew all you fellow book lovers would be just as excited about this!

Photos by moi.

17 comments:

Jillian said...

OHMAGOSH. Beautiful! :D

JoAnn said...

Lucky you... so beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Who throws away books?!? I mean, I've thrown away a few board books that my kids chewed into oblivion, but mostly I pass books on to others. I'm glad your friend helped you rescue them!

Cecelia said...

OMG throwing OUT books?!?!?!

I would have lost it.

Thank goodness you were there to save them!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jillian - :)

JoAnn - I was squeling every time I opened a new box.

abibliophilesstyle - Not someone I would be friends with!

Cecelia - I know!!! Who doesn't at least give them to Goodwill!

Anonymous said...

YAY BOOKS!! I can just imagine you grinning like a fool as you explored these jewels

o said...

Ohhhhh! You're so lucky! :D

Bybee said...

Gorgeous!!! Well done.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Such an amazing find!! I have a few collections on my shelves and poor Elle pulled off a fragile 100+ year old edition of Balzac the other day and threw a fit when I wouldn't let her read it. Poor girl! How lucky that you were able to find some gems to add to your collection.

Unknown said...

These books look great :D Great post!! :)

Jillian @ Jillian's Books

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

bkclubcare - I was a bit ridiculous :)

Trish - Ha, that's too sweet. My nieces and nephews occasionally get go for my books, so I set up a different bookcase full of kids books just for them. Hands off the priceless classics!

Jillian - Thanks, it was too fun not to share.

Meg @ write meg! said...

Oh goodness -- so glad they knew who to call and you were able to rescue them! The idea of them winding up in the trash is just . . . ergh. Many new treasures!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Meg - That's how I felt, what a waste that would have been!

Melinda said...

Beautiful! Great post

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Lucky you indeed! And of course, all the people who will be enjoying the donated books. Aren't you still amazed to think they were saved from a dumpster?!

Rob said...

This is very cool. I've always wanted to start a collection of beautiful antique classics, just a shelf of favourites that I slowly find. I think half the fun would be tracking the books down.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Enbrethiliel - I honestly can't imagine seeing a library full of books and thinking the best thing to do with them is to throw them away!

Rob - That's what I have in my house and I love it. I've become more selective with what I keep, but that just makes me appreciate the books even more.