Pin it and Do It: February Challenge

Saturday, February 23, 2013


Ok, so I got to a few more of those pinned items I’d been meaning to try out. Trish at Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity is hosting another Pin It and Do It Challenge. Thanks for hosting this again and for encouraging me to actually try some of the things I pin Trish!


 (My potato soup on the left, Pinterest French Onion Soup is on the right)

I was trying to find a few good soup recipes and these were both great! The Baked Potato Soup is definitely my favorite, but it takes a long time to make. It was hearty and we sprinkled some green onions and shreeded cheese on top. The French Onion Soup was good, but I’m not a big onion fan. The Huz LOVED it though, so success. I used the leftover half of the French loaf of bread to make bread crumbs for a recipe for next week, so I felt all productive. 

 (The Pinterest example is on the left and my collection of postcards is on the right)

Apparently clogged dryer traps cause a ton of house fires each year, who knew? I decided to clean mine to try and avoid the whole burning down your house thing. I also finally put my Penguin postcards in frames in my library. I love how it turned out!

(My broquet for the Huz and my attempt at baking eggs)

I made the Huz a “broquet” for Valentine’s Day with a few fun things in it. He was a fan. I have the hardest time making hard-boiled eggs. I always over cook them or under cook them, I can’t seem to get the hang out it. So I tried baking them via a recipe on Pinterest and they turned out pretty good. They taste fine, but the do have an odd brownish tint because of the method of cooking and so I wouldn’t want to use them to make Deviled eggs for a party or something.

P.S. You can find me on Pinterest here

Photos by moi or from Pinterest and all items link to the article I originally pinned. 

12 comments:

Tami said...

Love the broquet! I'll try that for the next occasion.
I found you through the Pin It Challenge and I'm following on Pinterest. Great projects!

Sarah said...

I LOVE the Penguin postcards display! I have a box of those postcards just sitting around, it would be awesome to actually display them in a fun way like that!!

I'm doing the Pin It & Do It challenge too, but not doing sooo hot. I've only managed to complete 2-3 things, maybe. And I've been really lazy about taking pictures and writing up the post, lol. Maybe later this week.

Selah said...

Those soups both look yummy. Another very good one is Paula Deen's Butternut Squash Soup:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/creamy-squash-soup-recipe/index.html
I suggest saving yourself some time and buying the already peeled and cut squash - it's not that much more expensive.

It's not just the dryer trap that needs to be kept clean. You should also open up the dryer occasionally and vacuum it out. Also, cleaning out the duct work will greatly increase efficiency and decrease fire risk. Get a professional to do this or buy a kit like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014CN8Y8/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't tried the hard cooked eggs yet, but I love this method of poaching eggs in the oven:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7681895_make-poached-eggs-oven.html

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Hard boiled eggs in the oven?? Wow! I always have a tough time remembering how exactly to do boiled eggs as well and if you ask on twitter (which I have) you'll receive a different answer from everyone. I usually just boil for 12 minutes because that's what my mom taught me but do I add before water boils and then take off heat immediately? Ha!

I love that there's beef jerky in your Valentine's bouquet and I absolutely love the postcard wall! PS--I got your sweet card in the mail. Thank you. :) And I love your business cards! Do you have a recommended vendor? I've been thinking about making some as well.

Jenners said...

Love the "broquet" and your postcards!! Great decor!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Tami - Thanks! That was a fun project!

Sarah - Everytime I sent out some of the Penguin postcards I kept finding ones I couldn't part with, so it seemed like a fun way to enjoy them.

Selah - I'm so with you on buying pre-cut squash. I made a Butternut squash soup and it took forever to peel and dice it! I'll look into the dryer vent thing too. Thank you! I pinned the poached egg recipe. Those look great.

Trish - I'll try your boiling method. I've gotten so many different answers about how to do it correctly! The cards are from Vistaprint. It just seemed silly to have to write out both blog names every time someone asked me for them. I thought they turned out well! Email me if you need tips.

Jenners - The broquet was a fun way to celebrate when we were trying not to do anything big.

Selah said...

Several years into owning our house the dryer was taking 2+ hours to dry a load. So, I call a serviceman to look into it. He opened up the dryer and pulled out what looked like a sweater made of lint. It was scorched and brown on one side. Terrifying! My husband bought the Lint Eater and cleaned the duct work, pulling out several kitchen garbage bags full of lint. Since then, my dryer works great and I'm not scared of burning my house down. It's one of those things every homeowner should know, but most don't.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Selah - Wow, I'm definitely going to have to get one then. That's horrible!

Nikki Steele said...

The broquet is awesome -- would be great for fancy parties when you want the guys to feel involved as well.

I've had the hard boiled (baked) eggs pinned for ages but have never done them. I stay with the stovetop method. If you add a bit of vinegar to the water, it helps you take off the shells later.

Will have to root around my own Pinterest--it's been a while, I'm sure a few cobwebs have collected...

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Nikki - Centerpieces at a party with guys, that's a great idea!

Care said...

Ha! I get out my Better Homes & Garden cookbook from the 40s every single time to boil eggs! But it works. I just wish I could remember it without looking. BUT, I do think of my grandma when I open that book so it's all good.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Care - I wish I could remember recipes without referring to them too. Maybe once I've been doing them for a few more years.