Where in the World Are You Reading: Libraries

Thursday, August 2, 2012


This month's Where in the World Are You Reading, hosted by Kailana, Lisa, and Trish is Libraries! The above photo was taken inside my favorite local library, the Central Library in downtown Indianapolis. It is a combination of an old library (completed in 1917) and a new addition (completed just a couple years ago). The result is glorious.


This is the view looking down on the main lobby from the fifth floor. There was actually a wedding reception set up (see the white tables) on the day I took this.


On the left you can see a great view of downtown Indy from the sixth (top) floor of the library.

On the right is a view of the escalators leading all the way up to the top of the library, which take you one floor above the Rivendell-style arches you see in the photo.


On the left you can see the outside of the library. The old half of the library is connected to the new half (on the left), which is six floors high with huge glass walls.

On the right you can see the beautiful older section. There are names of famous authors engraved in the walls.

This library is my happy place. It's my favorite place in the whole city!

Photos by moi.

17 comments:

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...

Sometimes these old/new mash-ups can go so wrong, but this one seems to be a success!

Sandy Nawrot said...

Of the billion times I've been in Indy, I've never been to the library. Next time I'm up, I'll have to have a field trip. Our library in Orlando is UGLY on the outside, but huge and wonderful on the inside!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Alex - It was apparently a nightmare to build, but the end result is wonderful.

Sandy - Next time you're in town we should visit this library and the Indy Reads Books bookstore!

Angela said...

What a beautiful library. You're one lucky girl :)

Carl V. Anderson said...

That is a great picture of the new part of your library. Wish you had more to share, Wow!!! I love seeing the insides of libraries. There are so many that are creative and beautiful shrines to reading.

Care said...

Sounds awesome! I love when architects successfully fuse new and old buildings.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Angela - It's definitely a beautiful library!

Carl V. - I'll have to get a few more shots next time I'm there!

Care - I know! I think it's a difficult thing to pull off, but it's wonderful when they can do it.

Suey said...

Glad they didn't get rid of the old part. That would have been so sad.

My library post is up today! :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Suey - It's so much fun to see everyone's libraries! I love this idea.

Becca said...

What an interesting library! It kind of reminds me of the library at UNCG. I absolutely love it there. I would take a pic and share but I have no camera and my camera on my phone will not work right now. :(

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness! six floors of library! I can't even imagine.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Becca - It's a very unique design, I love it!

Lisa - It's like heaven.

Peek-a-booK! said...

It looks like a great place, thanks for sharing! :)

Here you can find the post about my Library:
http://www.peekabook.it/2012/08/where-in-world-local-library.html

Valentina
www.peekabook.it

Kailana said...

Wow, that sounds awesome! My library is so tiny... Very jealous. :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

peek-a-book - Your's is gorgeous too!

Kailana - My local one is tiny too, this is the main branch downtown and it's beautiful!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

OMG It's HUGE!!! I haven't been down to the Dallas library but my local library (for hometown of 100,000) is pretty small in comparison.

I love the melding of new and old.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Trish - My local library is small too, but I visit this one frequently.