Top Ten Books I'd Want on a Desert Island
Tuesday, January 24, 2012Posted by Melissa (Avid Reader)
This week's Top Ten from The Broke and the Bookish is a freebie category. So I decided to give you my Top Ten Books I'd Want on a Desert Island. I’m going to preface this list by saying I’m counting series or “complete works of” as one book. That’s not cheating, right?
1) The Complete Works of William Shakespeare – Comedy, drama, tragedy, bawdy jokes, desperate love, Shakespeare has it all.
2) The Harry Potter series – I never get tired of reading these books.
3) The Shadow of the Wind – Gothic mystery, the cemetery of forgotten books, a Barcelona bookshop, yes please.
4) Dombey and Son – Or whatever Dickens novel I have yet to read when I’m about to be stranded.
5) The Complete Works of Jane Austen – I love these books more with each reread.
6) The Lord of the Rings – A tale of adventure, friendship and good overcoming evil; plus there are wizards and hobbits and epic battles.
7) Proust – because really, when else am I going to read all of In Search of Lost Time?
8) The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe – For when I’m feeling spooky.
9) The Time Traveler’s Wife – For when I need a beautiful love story.
10) The Anne of Green Gables series – When I’m feeling down about being stranded, I think Anne would brighten up my day.
Photo from here.