1001 Books to Read Before You Die Challenge

Saturday, January 7, 2012


Here are the books I completed for the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die Challenge hosted here. I do this every year just on my own and I love it. I don't make a list in advance. Instead, at the end of December I get out my giant 1001 Book and a highlighter. I go through the whole thing and check off all the books I read that year. It's fun because I'm usually surprised by a lot of the books that are in there. Turns out I completed the top level, PHd: 16+ books. I've discovered so many great books from this list.

I've now read 141 books from the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list.

Here's my completed list from 2011:
Robinson Crusoe
David Copperfield
War & Peace
Middlemarch
The Portrait of a Lady
King Solomon’s Mines
The Yellow Wallpaper
Jude the Obscure
The Invisible Man
Kim
The Hound of the Baskerville
The House of Mirth
Babbitt
The Garden Party
Tender is the Night
Absalom, Absalom!
A Home at the End of the World
Captain Corelli’s Mandolin
The God of the Small Things
The Blind Assassin

11 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

I'm not sure I even want to know what category I'd be in! These lists are fascinating but also drive me nuts. Just like the 1001 places to see before you die.

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

I was trying to read this whole list before I started blogging... but then there were too many books I wanted to read! Maybe I'll go back to reading one of these a month.

Captain Nick Sparrow said...

What a weird coincidence! I got out my list this morning and highlighted my reads from last year! I read 6 and 2 of those were rereads.

This year I'll be reading The Bell Jar for sure.

Jenners said...

I love your approach to this challenge! You're doing fantastic!

nomadreader said...

Impressive! I'm doing this as a personal challenge too, but I've set a loose goal of 2/month or 24/year to keep me loosely on track to actually read them all before I die!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sandy - I can't help it. I love lists!

Lu - I started this project before I started blogging too. I'm not making it a priority, but I find that much of my reading falls within this category anyway.

Captain - That's a fascinating one. I just re-read it last year. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Jenners - Thanks! It makes it more fun to do it this way.

nomadreader - 24 a year, that's good!

Care said...

Some tough ones and some really quick ones. I didn't realize you read Portrait of a Lady. Will have to go look for your thoughts. If you can get through these, seriously, Murakami will not be a problem!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Care - That's good to hear about Murakami. I don't know why I find him so intimidating, but I do!

Roof Beam Reader said...

Nice work!

I'm somewhere around 114 completed, I think. I'm sticking with the 2006 edition, as that's the one I started with - they keep updating the list every few years, which just kept putting me further and further behind, so I had to make a decision to pick one and stick with it.

Of course, that means by the time I finish the 2006 list (40 years from now?) there will probably be another 500 that I need to read.

Anonymous said...

I am only at 53 books! I am in awe of your 141 books! I hope to concentrate on reading more from the list this year.

Melissa Hall said...

Adam - That's the edition I use too. It drives me nuts that the list keeps changing. When we're both in our 60s that list will be up to 2,000 books!

Iris - I've found some great ones on the list, but I have so many left to read.