Little Free Library

Thursday, December 12, 2019

For my birthday this year my best friend and husband surprised me with my very own Little Free Library. I was over the moon! I’ve always loved them and I was so excited to be able to share books with our community in this way. 

It was such an incredible gift and one that will continue to bless others with books for years to come! 


My library and my kiddos and best friend's kids. 
He took the very first book (The Giver)!

After ton of phone calls and even a parks meeting where I was asked to bring the actual little library, I finally got approval to install it in a local park. My husband dug a post hole and together we set it up. My best friend and her kiddos were there, along with my two kids, to commemorate the occasion.
I filled the library with some of my favorite books. I wanted a mix of classics, YA, children's books, nonfiction, and literary fiction. In the month since we installed it I've already restocked it and it seems popular despite the cold! I love the location, right near the town hall and the water on a well-used walking path. 
My best friend wrapped the present in paper and covered the paper with beautiful quotes about reading (above left). It was just perfect. My husband engraved a brass plaque for the library dedicating it to my mom. She passed away from Leukemia when I was a teenager, but throughout her life, she never tired of reading. 

4 comments:

Cleo @ Classical Carousel said...

That's a wonderful tribute to your mom! And it looks awesome. I hope it gives many people joy. Have a wonderful holiday season!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Cleo - Thanks! We have already been back to restock it many times. I think it’s a hit!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

What a wonderful gift. I have had one in front of my house since 2012. I got a grant from the school district to build five more. Here's my blog post about it: https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/10/little-free-libraries.html

Unruly Reader said...

How beautiful! And now I feel a little verklempt. It's so lovely that your LFL is dedicated to your mom. May it feed a whole new generation of readers...