Children's Books

Monday, August 1, 2016

Having a kiddo means I'm reading a LOT more children's books. It's been so much fun to discover a new genre of books. I've been building a children's library for years and I love curling up with Sydney to read. We read tons of classics from my childhood, like Madeline, Dr. Seuss books, the Francis books, and Clifford books. 

We also love the BabyLit Classics. They're such a fun introduction to characters I hope she'll grow to love. The Mini Myths series is so great too! We've definitely learned that it's not easy to write a good kid's book and some are way better than others.

Here are a few of our new favorites:

- All Ladybug Girl books
- King Bidgood's in the Bathtub (so much fun to read with silly voices)
- The Pout-Pout Fish
- A Kissing Hand for Chester Raccoon
- Skippyjon Jones
- Llama Llama Red Pajama
- Miss Rumphius
- Edgar and the Tattle-Tale Heart
- Press Here
- The Going-To-Bed Book
- The Other Dog




I'd love to hear your recommendations!

7 comments:

Brona said...

I love reading Where is the Green Sheep by Mem Fox with little ones. Also the Sandra Boynton hippo books.

So many delightful stories and hours ahead of you both :-)

Nina Shimmin said...

I concur on the Sandra Boynton! My 8 mo loves her book 'Doggies.' She thinks all of the different dog barks are absolutely hilarious. She's also really into all of the books with textures. Her great-grandmother just got her 'Peter Rabbit Touch and Feel' which has some really great ones (the page with the leaf is our favorite).

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Brona and Nina - How could I forget the Sandra Boynton books? We love them! Especially the Going to Bed Book and But Not the Hippopotamus.

Amy said...

I don't know Edgar and the Tattletale Heart! I need to check it out!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Amy - Edgar is a little Raven and there are Poe references throughout the book. I love it!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I need to pick up some Llama Llama books! I don't think we own any. The girls love Press Here--they call it the magic book--and I've already mentioned The Book Without Pictures, though Sydney won't get that one until she's much older.

For a classic spin, I love Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. The poems are so silly and I can read them in a sing song voice. Plus...poetry and TS Eliot! :) I keep looking forward to the day when I can start reading longer classics to Elle. I recently picked up a copy of Alice in Wonderland because I think she's ready...but of course she's more interested in other books. Sigh. Enjoy those sweet moments!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Trish - I will definitely get the TS Eliot. What a fun one! I can't wait until Sydney is old enough to read older kid books with me. I keep picturing us reading Narnia and The Secret Garden together.