The Kingkiller Chronicles

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

 I'm late to the party on this one. People have been telling me about these books for years and I never picked them up. When I finally did there was no turning back. I couldn't put The Name of the Wind down. As soon as I was done I devoured The Wise Man's Fear. 

If you're picking a genre the series falls into fantasy, but they are so much more focused on character story-telling than in fantastical elements. Rothfuss builds an incredibly detailed world that feels instantly familiar. The story follows a man named Kvothe. He is working as an innkeeper in a small town, but he used to be a powerful and dangerous man. The first two books (and one more forthcoming novel) tell the story of how his rise and fall. 

That summary doesn't do the books justice by half. These books are the first ones I've read in a long time that I couldn't stop thinking about. When I wasn't reading them I was wondering about the characters and what would happen next. I can't wait for the next book in the series and I know I'll need to reread these again soon!

2 comments:

Julie @ Smiling Shelves said...

I've heard good things about these books, but I've been hesitating to pick them up for some reason. Maybe it's finally time to give them a go! :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Julie - My only complaint is that the third book doesn't even have a release date yet!