On Turning 30

Monday, May 19, 2014

 
 
Today I turned 30, so I couldn't help but think about the past decade. It has been an incredible one filled with unexpected trials and joyful moments.
 
In the last decade I have ...
 
- Graduated from college
- Lived in London
- Worked at a daily newspaper, ad agency, and medical journal
- Become an aunt
- Made friends that will last me a lifetime
- Visited 12 countries in Europe
- Joined the book blogging community
- Bought my first house
- Gotten married to a handsome devil
- Gained a wonderful family of in-laws through my husband’s family and siblings’ spouses
- Taken dozens of road trips across the United States
- Read hundreds of books
- Gained an 80lb bundle of canine love
- Become the editor of a monthly magazine
- Learned how to cook
- Seen 321 plays and musicals
 
I loved my 20s. They were full of adventures and struggles and they taught me so much. I learned how important it is to be unashamed of who you are. I learned that strength comes in many forms and that it's the people in your life that make it both wonderful and challenging. I learned that I need grace every day. I learned to never put your dreams off for another time. If something is important to you, do it now. You don't know how many tomorrows you get and you'll never regret taking one more trip.
 
 
So here's to whatever the next decade holds. I have so much to learn and so much I want to do. I think it’s going to be even better than the last.
 

22 comments:

Riv said...

Happy birthday, Melissa! You sure have an impressive list of accomplishments from the previous decade.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I love your outlook on life! I might have to borrow this idea for my birthday in August. :)

annieb said...

Happy Birthday my dear and may you have many, many more. You were the first book blogger I checked out and you are still my favorite--every day.

Lisa said...

Adding my birthday wishes! I hope it brings you some good books :)

JoAnn said...

Happy Birthday, Melissa... wishing your 30s bring you just as much joy as your 20s!

Kat @ NoPageLeftBehind said...

Happy Birthday Melissa! Welcome to the 30 club!

Ellie said...

Happy birthday! Here's to your 30s being just as positive as your 20s!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Have a great day! I hope this decade is the best one yet.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I'll be celebrating mine next week, but don't expect a similar post from me - I'm too old to want people to now my age any more. Plus I think you accomplished more in your twenties than I have in my whole life. :-)

Sandy Nawrot said...

20's are an awesome decade, but I honestly thought the 30's were ever better! (My God I'm almost into my 50's! SOB) Happy happy birthday to you, and you are just so adorable in these pictures, I want to hug you!

Anonymous said...

and here's CHEERS for the next awesome decade!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Happy Belated Birthday Melissa. I loved the trip down memory lane and the pictures. (You did make me feel old. as my youngest child is 36!) that's ok I forgive u

Jeanne said...

Happy Birthday! You are lovely in all the photos.

Jillian said...

Happy Birthday dear friend, you have had a great life so far with wonderful accomplishments and people! Here's to many more years to come full of happiness and books :D

Andi said...

LOVE this! Thanks for sharing it, and happy 30th!

Carl V. Anderson said...

Man that is a lot of plays and musicals! Whoa!

Congratulations on turning 30! It is one of those milestone years that makes it interesting to look back on where you've been and to look forward to where you are going.

So happy that one of your accomplishments is joining the book blogging community, its been a pleasure to get to know you over these years.

Camilla P. said...

Happy birthday :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments! This week has been overwhelming in a wonderful way and your comments were the icing on the cake!

thecuecard said...

Impressive list of what you've done. Here's to another good decade! Cheers.

http://www.thecuecard.com/

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

thecuecard - Thanks!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Happy happy happy 30th birthday Melissa!! Your 20s sounded great but I know that your 30s will be even fuller. I've found them to be the best so far! (in the 3 years I've been a thirty-something).

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Tirsh - I think they will too! Thanks!