Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2013

Tuesday, December 17, 2013



This week's Top Ten from The Broke and the Bookish asks Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2013. The following are all new ones I was thrilled to discover. I’ve already got a second book or two in the queue for 2014 from some of them.

1) Erin Morgenstern (The Night Circus)
2) Olive Ann Burns (Cold Sassy Tree)
3) Madeline Miller (Song of Achilles)
4) Carol Rifka Brunt (Tell the Wolves I’m Home)
5) Veronica Roth (Divergent trilogy)
6) Maria Semple (Where’d You Go, Bernadette?)
7) Laurie R. King (The Beekeeper’s Apprentice)
8) Jon Meacham (Thomas Jefferson Biography)
9) Elizabeth Wein (Code Name Verity)
10) Jeannette Haien (The All of It)

9 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

I bet 75% of the books I read are new authors to me! I don't allow myself much opportunity to dig into backlists much. I can't remember if you read Wein's new one "Rose Under Fire" but you MUST!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sandy - I had a harder time with this, because I read a lot of authors I already know I love. I haven't read Rose Under Fire yet, but it's now getting bumped up my list!

JoAnn said...

Carol Rifka Brunt made my list, too, and I know I'll be reading Elizabeth Wein in 2014!

Unknown said...

I have only read Erin Mongenstern so far. I really want to try Maria Semple though. Great list!

Kailana said...

Oh, nice! Cold Sassy Tree is not a book I typically see around the blogosphere. I have the unfinished sequel that was released, but have never read it... First I really must reread Cold Sassy Tree. I also read Song of Achilles this year via audiobook and really liked it. I reread The Night Circus on audio as well and it was great to revisit it! I hope you have a wonderful time revisiting some of these. :)

Andi said...

Maria Semple is on EVERYONE'S list. It makes me really excited that I FINALLY buckled and bought Bernadette this past week!

Brona said...

One of my good friends loved The Night Circus too. Maybe I'll have to finally pull it out of the TBR pile for 2014!

Ellie said...

Maria Semple would definitely make it on to my list too!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

JoAnn - That book was intense!

Tiffany - The Night Circus was such a unique book.

Kailana - Cold Sassy Tree was such a sweet coming-of-age story. I can't believe it took me so long to read it.

Andi - It's hilarious but it has a great story too!

Brona - I absolutely loved it!

Ellie - Such a great book!