Back to the Classics 2015

Friday, January 2, 2015



I love the Back to the Classics Challenge. There are always great categories that make me get a bit creative when I choose my books. For the second year in a row the challenge is being hosted by Karen of Books and Chocolate. Below are all of the categories along with my selections. You can see the complete list of details in Karen's post here. 

Here's my list:
1.  A 19th Century Classic: The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (1860) 
2.  A 20th Century Classic: The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene (1940)  
3.  A Classic by a Woman Author: The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (1915) 
4.  A Classic in Translation: Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan (1954) 
5.  A Very Long Classic Novel: Tess of the d’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (1891) 
6.  A Classic Novella: The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (1951) 
7.  A Classic with a Person's Name in the Title: Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis (1955)  
8.  A Humorous or Satirical Classic: Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift (1726) 
9.  A Forgotten Classic: A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (1909)  
10.  A Nonfiction Classic: A Tramp Abroad by Mark Twain (1880)  
11.  A Classic Children's Book: Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter (1913) 
12.  A Classic Play: Richard II by William Shakespeare (1623)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I have books that qualify for most of these categories already on my 2015 TBR. I might just have to sign up!

Heather said...

Faulkner!!!! {runs away screaming}

I loved Tess when I read it in high school. Also Gulliver. Girl of the Limberlost is amazing. I seriously heart that book. I read Pollyanna to pieces when I was a kid. The others sound great! {except Faulkner! Ahhhh!} Good luck@

Susanna said...

What a fun challenge. That is a wonderful list. I am already participating in multiple 2015 reading challenges, but this one is tempting...very tempting. Have fun!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

abibliophilesstyle - Do it! Such a fun challenge.

Heather - I keep hearing it's his best one, I figure if I don't love it then I've given him more than a fair shot (I already read Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying).

Dr. Sus - It's always hard to pick which ones to participate in! There are so many wonderful ones out there.

Cleo said...

I'm reading Gulliver's Travels at the moment and it is excellent! And I read Richard II this year and I must say it's my favourite so far. If you can get ahold of the Archangel audiobook where Rupert Graves is Richard, he gives a fantastic performance. The language is just beautiful!

Best of luck with your challenge!

Anonymous said...

I SEE GULLIVER'S TRAVELS :D I want to read that, but I literally can't find a copy. I enjoyed the movie, that's why I want to see if the book could be any better :) Love the books you put in the list, Melissa!

Anonymous said...

You'll love Gulliver. So rich in ideas and influence over the following centuries.

IMAP be reading Girl of the Limberlost this year, with Porter's Hoosier ties it fits into my "read local" focus for 2015.

I almost read The Mill on the Floss last year since e Carmel library book club discussed it one month, but I failed to make enough time for it (thanks, Middlemarch!)

Good luck with your challenge!

Anonymous said...

Goodness, I haven't even written up a summary of 2014's classic challenge yet! I will probably join in this, too, but not quite ready to think about.

Melissa @ Confessions of an Avid Reader said...

This is one challenge I really should sign-up for, since I have so many classics on my shelves waiting to be read! I just can't bring myself to join any challenges though, since I feel bad if I don't achieve them.

Trisha said...

I am off to sign up for this one right now!

Anonymous said...

Tess of the d’Urbervilles is, hands down, my favorite classic. I hope that you enjoy it once you get to it. Good luck with the challenge!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

cleopatra - Oh good, I will go find that audio version now!

Jillian - I have the Penguin clothbound edition and it's gorgeous!

bibliophilica - I picked Limberlost for the Hoosier connection! I also wanted to recommend The Circus in Winter to you. I'm reading it right now and it's a great Indiana book!

bkclubcare - I love setting my reading goals for the next year. That way when January rolls around I can't wait to start the books.

Melissa - Definitely don't join then. For me it's a great motivator, but I wouldn't join if it made reading a stressful thing.

Trisha - It's a great one!

ardentreader - Oh yay! I've loved the other Hardy I've read, so I'm excited.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the rec of the Circus in Winter. :-)